Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Itchy

Hi guys

Happy new year..

I've noticed lately that Luna has been very itchy.. First I thought fleas and gave her and Oliver their dab of Frontline. But she's still scratching and tonight I saw her nipping at her paws...

She's fed Nutro Lamb&Rice, well she was untill today and over the next 7 days we're switching to Nutro Chicken&Rice.

Could she be allergic to the Lamb? Or have I bought 15 kilo Chicken&Rice in wein (sp?)

At the same time I think she has a bad breath!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 02:49 AM
awww poor Luna
Gus's itching and nibbling of paws was due to food intolerance/sensitivity
but I believe it can also be due to stress/boredom/allergys of other sorts (such as hopusedust mites/pollens etc)
Or have you changed anything in the house such as washing powder, distinfectants, shake&vac etc?
Has she done it for long J?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Lel

Well its been a week or 2 maybe.....

No havent changed anything that I can think of. Well I have changed the washing powder, but I changed to something that is used by people who ALREADY have allergy!! But I'm changing back, so we'll soon see if that was it.

Hmmm. I dont know.......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi J, noteing what Lel says.. All dogs scratch to a certain extent, all part of grooming and they do it more when bored. Have a good look at the skin, see anything?Is it flaky or red ? Also look between the pads for any sign of mites though they are not common at this time of year ( looks like brown stuff). You can try adding a little fish oil with omega 3 (not cod liver oil) from health food shops this is good for the skin. If it continues or there is a visible sign of a problems you might want to get the vet to do a skin scrape.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 09:55 AM
One of mine used to be extremely sensitive to the salt they use on the roads could Luna have been in contact with any of that ?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 10:16 AM
No not really..... We mainly walk on grassy areas, and she didnt seem to have a porblem with that last year.

It was a good guess though......
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Tammy used to scratch a lot and it was normally just before or just after a season. The vet said it was her hormones settling back down. She'd have it for about 2 or 3 weeks after her season.

Not sure if that's any help J
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi J, noteing what Lel says.. All dogs scratch to a certain extent, all part of grooming and they do it more when bored. Have a good look at the skin, see anything?Is it flaky or red ? Also look between the pads for any sign of mites though they are not common at this time of year ( looks like brown stuff). You can try adding a little fish oil with omega 3 (not cod liver oil) from health food shops this is good for the skin. If it continues or there is a visible sign of a problems you might want to get the vet to do a skin scrape.
Sorry mini, didnt mean to be rude and ignore you, just didnt see your post.

Hmm cant eally see anything on her skin.... And there is Omega 3 acids in the food. Can I still add more?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Tammy used to scratch a lot and it was normally just before or just after a season. The vet said it was her hormones settling back down. She'd have it for about 2 or 3 weeks after her season.

Not sure if that's any help J
Nae, I think you could have hit the nail on the head (or what u say...)

Luna ended her season 4 weeks ago, but have had a few hormonal hick-ups the last few weeks (her eating-habits and mood), so this could very well be it...

Will check her over for red or flaky spots when we have a few minutes alone......

Thanks guys.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2005, 12:41 PM
bellaluna Sorry mini,
Hmm can't eally see anything on her skin.... And there is Omega 3 acids in the food. Can I still add more?
Hi J If she has O3FAs in her food already probably best not to add more..how about some sardines in oil as a treat now and then If Luna is not making anywhere sore..and the skin looks ok I would see how it goes, could be hormones as the others say . Keeping the nails not too long might prevent damage.. a quick file usually does the trick, I use a human metal one and Emery board, do it gently while Luna is on your lap having a cuddle and she won't mind at all
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »