Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:43 PM

We have just booked our holiday to Portugal

I am so excited. After all the building work the last thing I thought we would be doing is going on holiday.

My OH has decided we are however and so we have just booked to go back to the same apartments In Praia da Luz Portugal.

We will be there for 2 1/2 weeks in August! How lucky am I?

elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I adore Portugal We stayed just up the road in Areias de Sao Joao in Praia da Oura

Have a lovely time, you will though, people are lovely, weather is lovely food is lovely, in fact it's lovely

Elaine xx
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Ooooooh, lucky you!!!! I spent alot of my twenties in Portugal! Wonderful place. Went back when my eldest was about 1.5 years (13 and a half years ago) and it had "grown" quite alot. Shame really but still a wonderful place.

My favourite place was Praia da Rocha (fab nightlife and great restaurants) and the beaches are to die for. Next favourite place was Lagos. Wonderful shopping there. Lovely Boutiques, bars and restaurants. Portimao is good for getting your bit of Portuguese culture in the form of grilled sardines (hate the look of them with their heads on but bloomin' scrummy ). I expect Portugal has changed a whole load in the last 13 and a half years but I so must go back there one day.

Have you ever tried Lisbon. It is truly fantastic. I went for a two day trip (you'd have to stay over for the night as it is a long drive). It really is a lovely, clean, beautiful place. I remember sitting in the bars listening to the Portuguese music, arrrrrrrh, a lifetime away - such happy memories

Please take lots of pics when you are there. It will be lovely to see the "real" Algarve rather than the pics in the brochures and what nots!

You are one LUCKY girlie And I am officially green with envy
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
This will be our third year running.The first year we stayed ina gorgeous hotel nearer to Albufeira. we explored a bit that year and discovered Luz which we loved. This will be our second time in Luz and are using the same apartments.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
This will be our third year running.The first year we stayed ina gorgeous hotel nearer to Albufeira. we explored a bit that year and discovered Luz which we loved. This will be our second time in Luz and are using the same apartments.
Albufeira was a bit built up for me (and that was 13 odd years ago). I think Praia da Luz is much more my cup of tea (though that's probably changed so much now too)

Have you ever been to the Baragem (sp?)! It's wonderful if you haven't. A massive waterfall type affair up the mountains. There are restaurants on the way up that do (or did) fab Piri-Piri Chicken. The most beautiful views. Worth a lunchtime visit if you haven't been before. From memory (and its a bit hazy now) it's somewhere between Praia da Rocha and Lagos (if you do decide to go please check that out though, as I've spent so much time in Portugal - my first Hubby was Portuguese- I do sometimes get mixed up)
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds lovely Never been to Portugal, but a friend has just been with her daughter and they adored the place.

Have a great time x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I am so excited. After all the building work the last thing I thought we would be doing is going on holiday.

My OH has decided we are however and so we have just booked to go back to the same apartments In Praia da Luz Portugal.

You deserve it hun, hope you really enjoy it. We love Portugal we have been several times, staying in a Villa outside Fargo, up in the hills. Beautiful place........Have fun Hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2009, 09:58 AM

What apartments are you staying in.

We have a Villa at the top of Luz.....come up the bank out of the village, to the roundabout turn left, next right ...we are up there!!!

I love Luz, its a fab place....

Some good restaurants for you to try are the...

Lime Tree.... the food in their is fabulous.. and the staff are really friendly

Then there is the South African... round by the pub... (by the church) is it called the bull and something???

Also by the church is the Atlantico (Dutch) good food and friendly staff in there.

If you go into Lagos there is a little place down the back streets called " No Patio" if you want to treat yourself to the best food in Portugal

Then there is "Linda's Bar " on the beach in Lagos... a great way to while away a few hrs in the afternoon.

We are going in a few wks...then again is September...love the place

Glad you have fallen for the resort, such a nice friendly family oriented little village

p.s ..if you want the phone number rof any of the restaurants , I will suss them out for you, my hubby keeps them in his phone!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Oooo lovely!!

I've never been. All of my hols have been more worldwide so I've therefore tended to over look Europe (apart form France and Spain). I'd pick Portugal next though I think, provided it was somewhere very low key and traditional.

Have a fab time and yes, you are lucky!! I'm very jealous. It'll be a LONG time before we'll be going abroad again ;o(
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What apartments are you staying in.

We have a Villa at the top of Luz.....come up the bank out of the village, to the roundabout turn left, next right ...we are up there!!!

I love Luz, its a fab place....

Some good restaurants for you to try are the...

Lime Tree.... the food in their is fabulous.. and the staff are really friendly

Then there is the South African... round by the pub... (by the church) is it called the bull and something???

Also by the church is the Atlantico (Dutch) good food and friendly staff in there.

If you go into Lagos there is a little place down the back streets called " No Patio" if you want to treat yourself to the best food in Portugal

Then there is "Linda's Bar " on the beach in Lagos... a great way to while away a few hrs in the afternoon.

We are going in a few wks...then again is September...love the place

Glad you have fallen for the resort, such a nice friendly family oriented little village

p.s ..if you want the phone number rof any of the restaurants , I will suss them out for you, my hubby keeps them in his phone!!

Thanks Jackbox. We ate in the lime tree loads last year and also the South African one which I forget the name of. Numbers for both would be great as I know booking in advance is normally necessary.There is also a great fish restaurant next to the real pizza place. Do you happen to know the number/name of that one as it was fab!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >