View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I guess she could have a mild case of kennel cough that maybe aggravating the soft palette problem if that was the cause of the gulping before? As the sort throat and retching wasn't present last winter.

The incidents were rare and so spaced the vet suggested not to use scope until it was happening alot like several times every week or daily.

I will email vet Monday and see what he/she thinks. I'm guessing the Fireworks have stopped outside as she now wants to go for her wee!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
I guess she could have a mild case of kennel cough that maybe aggravating the soft palette problem if that was the cause of the gulping before? As the sort throat and retching wasn't present last winter.

The incidents were rare and so spaced the vet suggested not to use scope until it was happening alot like several times every week or daily.

I will email vet Monday and see what he/she thinks. I'm guessing the Fireworks have stopped outside as she now wants to go for her wee!
Hi Kati from reading your posts I got the impression this was something that has happened a few times over a period of time though I may have got this wrong.
If she has just developed a cough and the other symptoms yes it could be Kennel cough.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2012, 10:42 PM
The more I read, I think I could be looking at two seperate things here, the only way to be sure is to get rid of the sore throat and cough and see if future episodes of 'Hiccups/sneeze' are the same as they were previously.

I've just bought her some Manuka anti bacterial Honey off ebay as that has been mentioned as a natural treatment for a dogs sore throat...so I'll work on getting rid of the cough and sore throat first and see what happens.

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
The more I read, I think I could be looking at two seperate things here, the only way to be sure is to get rid of the sore throat and cough and see if future episodes of 'Hiccups/sneeze' are the same as they were previously.

I've just bought her some Manuka anti bacterial Honey off ebay as that has been mentioned as a natural treatment for a dogs sore throat...so I'll work on getting rid of the cough and sore throat first and see what happens.

Thanks
Hi Kati yes you could be looking at more than one problem here.
Manuka honey is great, the higher the % the better in fact my doctor has just suggested I take it myself.
Not too good for weight and doggy teeth though so I would use it sparingly .

If the cough persists that really needs further investigation too, coughs can be heart related.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2012, 06:35 AM
well as predicted it has gone this morning she awoke me early needing to go in garden as she daren't stay out there last night with all the bangs going off!

I made her a little oaty porridge concoction with an oatibx, a bit of benylin drizzled on it and mixed up with warm milk and she seemed to like that.

I'll try a bit of the honey on a stagbar or something so she'll lick it off then clean her teeth with her chew!

The Benylin does seem to have eased her need to do the hacking cough and her breathing doesn't seem as 'chesty' this morning.

She's gone back to sleep after her 'porridge' so I might join her for another few hours as it was nearly 2am before we both got off to sleep and only 6.30am now!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 06:46 PM
This one is a puzzle isn't it, but you are trying things out to see if they work and I really hope that you have success.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2012, 07:02 PM
She's been fine all day she had some Benylin before lunch and dinner too, had no hacking coughing today or hiccups at all.

The honey should be here Tuesday if we don't have any more incidents I won't use the Benylin tomorrow and just try a bit of honey on the chew to see if she likes it. If she does I can use that if she gets a sore throat again or to see if it cures the hiccups.

There's no 'chestiness' at all now after two days of Benylin and she's laid on her bed fast asleep...so ..none the wiser to what it was! ..unless it was mild case of Kennel cough and wondering if I should still go though with course of antibiotics now she has no symptoms?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Fingers crossed here
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 09:28 AM
What your describing sounds exactly like what my Lily suffers with and hers is down to excess Acid reflux. I have some Antepsin tablets from the vet that I keep in the house and also some Zantac and I dose her with this if she starts a session of it. That normally settles it down.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2