View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 07:30 PM

How to stop a dog barking after he has alerted you?

We have a Golden Retriever who is around 3 years old and we could really do with some help/advice on something.

OK so our dog notifies us when the door goes/someones at the door or something else he thinks we should know. Which is totally fine and is actually a good thing however how do you make him stop after he has told you? We tell him its OK and we know now but it he still keeps barking and notifying us.

We try and keep him calm and try and reassure him but it doesn't seem to work very well and he will just keep barking and barking. If we just ignore him he keeps on going for ages. How do we train him not to do this??

We want him to notify us of these things but as soon as we say its OK for him to stop that he stops. Any tips or advice would be gratefully received .
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 07:32 PM
It might sound mad, but i say "thankyou" & they go & lie down
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
It might sound mad, but i say "thankyou" & they go & lie down
Doesn't sound mad but I don't think that would work with Harley as he doesn't seem to respond to anything we say. Its like he is in busy alert mode and nothing we say makes a difference .

Thank you for replying x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Tell him he`s a Good Boy and give him a biscuit?
My dogs are trained to trot into our front room after the alerting bark. Then I close the door on them while I see who it is.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Try teaching the 'speak' command, then when he sets off tell him 'speak' or whatever you want to name it, then when you want him to stop teach him the 'enough' command. it works with my lot. It does take a bit of time to get them to understand the 'enough' bit but we got there.
If you do it on a training exercise get him to bark, them get him to shut up putting the 'enough' command in when he stops barking.
Hope you can understand this, I wrote it down and I'm confused!!!
But you get the drift
As you say you dont want him not to let you know when someone is about.
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Wembley has this problem to an extent..

He has a space on top of the sofa with a dog blanket on it, here he watches for invaders. As soon as he sees someone walk past he goes nuts. We say 'enough' which he is kind of getting and he goes to lie down continuing to make 'wiff' noises. If someone walks up to the door, his bark gets very manly and doesn't sound like a Jack anymore

This thread will help me to continue getting the best out of him when he does this, so will watch the rest with interest.

I hope you get what you want out of it too Harley and Me!
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd like to know this as well as I'm having mixed results so will appreciate more replies!

Mine goes off barking if he hears something so I'd walk to the door and say ok and then he'd stop. If there's someone at the door he doesn't know he goes on barking and that's the problem for me how to tell him to stop - I don't want to give him attention at that time but it is annoying when you have delivery/service people coming and you're trying to have a conversation, but if I tell him to stop he ignores me.

If he hears something outside or a dog barking on tv I tell him to sit and generally distract him.
So far I've not been able to teach him speak.... if he barks and I say speak he'll look at me and tilt his head and carry on barking!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
This may sound a bit daft but my lot bark like mad (when Karen comes home for example) and they only stop once they know I want them to stop. It's more out of excitement than anything so I have to SHOUT 'shut up' really loud otherwise Fingal (who's quite deaf) keeps going which makes Breagh and Skye carry on.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
the way i deal with it is i say 'thank you' in a cheery voice when a dog barks to let me know someone's there.
if the dog carries on, i go to where they're barking at and have a look and if they continue, i will put them in another room, without talking to them or looking at them and not let them out until quiet, when i readmit them, i dont do or say anything.
ive found this works quite quickly as they learn to control themselves but are still initially rewarded for alerting me.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2009, 09:05 PM
We have this problem with our boy. However, he does know the 'speak' command so I will now get working on the 'enough' command and see how we go. Very helpful.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >