Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
And if it were me there'd be a lot of "Hmmm, I think I like that one. Let me try it again though, JUST to be sure!"
Tried a choc shot its called last night n ooh i shouldn't have a had it with cream , it was nice but my god i was nauseas lol x
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by steve78 View Post
i was trying for my tattoo aprentiship but seems like a lot of tattooist dont want to teach i have all my own gear that needs to be sent up to me and the autoclave needs to be sent to i use pig skin to practice on as well as the fake skins im trying to find a tattoist up this end now that will possible take me on
i know, apprenticeships can be very few and far between, personally i wouldn`t like to teach myself because it would take too much of my valuable time when instead i could be earning it`s nothing personal this is the way many think, most of the time it`s not because we don`t want to teach it`s just that it can cut into `our` time too, why spend time teaching someone when we could be earning? don`t forget we`re just normal folks with families and mortgages too, it`s really nothing personal, just keep badgering and get yourself a portfolio of you`re work together, be original
many places will expect you to work for free and in todays climate it`s not ideal there are a few places now where established artists have set up their own schools and will teach you the trade, this can be costly but you would be taught every technique you need to know to become an established tattoist, these courses are open to complete beginners too, just helps if you can draw
you won`t become a professional tattoist overnight, it takes time and dedication on you`re part and an awful lot of practice.

Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
by the sounds of it, your attempting to self teach (as you have bought your own machines etc, and hazarding a guess that you are tattooing from home as you have an autoclave). and from what iv found, a lot of professional tattooists don't agree with it as it does nothing for the professionalism of the business, nor the quality of your own work, as you have not been shown properly how to do things. if you need any info i know of a couple of courses that are run by good people.

why would a professional put the effort into taking somebody on who is going to turn round and say that they already know what to do? or worse, refuse to be shown how to do something properly because you've taught yourself a certain way and that how you want to continue?
its simply too much effort for them when there are honest people out there genuinely wanting to be taught and are willing to wait for the right person to teach them.
if your portfolio alone is good enough, you can get an apprenticeship anywhere.

i'm not having a pop, but as my OH has been doing a lot of research into the best ways to start off and present themselves well, "scratching" is considered the worst thing to do
some tattoists are completely self taught [person whom i got my apprenticeship with was they been going many, many years and are still very busy] there are some that have been taught by various means, then there are others whom have been lucky enough to gain an apprenticeship, there are no formal qualifications required to become a tattoo artist we`re just regulated by other means [local authority]. scratching isn`t something i myself would consider bad we all have to start somewhere even i practiced on myself [still have the ones i did on myself never got them recovered as i personally feel they we`re/are good pieces of work] never ever did this on other people [most tattoists have been `scratchers` even if they don`t admit it] i`ll have you know i know some blooming good `scratchers` but then there are the bad ones who have no idea what they are doing and these are usually the ones that have no desire to learn the trade at all. there is no quick fix to become a professional tattoist it takes a hell of a lot of time to learn and be comfortable with what you are doing.
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
i know, apprenticeships can be very few and far between, personally i wouldn`t like to teach myself because it would take too much of my valuable time when instead i could be earning it`s nothing personal this is the way many think, most of the time it`s not because we don`t want to teach it`s just that it can cut into `our` time too, why spend time teaching someone when we could be earning? don`t forget we`re just normal folks with families and mortgages too, it`s really nothing personal, just keep badgering and get yourself a portfolio of you`re work together, be original
many places will expect you to work for free and in todays climate it`s not ideal there are a few places now where established artists have set up their own schools and will teach you the trade, this can be costly but you would be taught every technique you need to know to become an established tattoist, these courses are open to complete beginners too, just helps if you can draw
you won`t become a professional tattoist overnight, it takes time and dedication on you`re part and an awful lot of practice.

some tattoists are completely self taught [person whom i got my apprenticeship with was they been going many, many years and are still very busy] there are some that have been taught by various means, then there are others whom have been lucky enough to gain an apprenticeship, there are no formal qualifications required to become a tattoo artist we`re just regulated by other means [local authority]. scratching isn`t something i myself would consider bad we all have to start somewhere even i practiced on myself [still have the ones i did on myself never got them recovered as i personally feel they we`re/are good pieces of work] never ever did this on other people [most tattoists have been `scratchers` even if they don`t admit it] i`ll have you know i know some blooming good `scratchers` but then there are the bad ones who have no idea what they are doing and these are usually the ones that have no desire to learn the trade at all. there is no quick fix to become a professional tattoist it takes a hell of a lot of time to learn and be comfortable with what you are doing.
heres the course i was thinking doing http://www.thetattooacademy.co.uk/index.html ive been into drawing painting etc sincwe i was a kid and now do custom airbrushing designs for radio controll cars just theres no call for it at present due to it being a seasonal thing.
id like to get into the tattooing for the one reason and one main reason is for all those blank canvases out there i want to get my work up there
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
I wasn't trying to lay down the law Dooley, i was just sharing the experiences my OH has had over the last 12 months or so. so is buying machines etc more worthwhile than my OH has been led to believe?
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
I wasn't trying to lay down the law Dooley, i was just sharing the experiences my OH has had over the last 12 months or so. so is buying machines etc more worthwhile than my OH has been led to believe?
it is really important to buy you`re own machines most places i know of do expect you to have this even down to you`re own sterilizing units, i personally don`t know anywhere where they would allow an apprentice to use their own / someone elses machinery [as you could possibly find yourself responsible for someone elses mistake i,e, cleanliness/hygiene or vice versa the list goes on], 12 months in you`re OH still has a long way to go and a hell of a lot to learn, he may even give up before he even gets that far as many do loose interest because it is such a long drawn out process, i really do feel he has been ill advised regarding not having even the bare basics to start out with. if you move around from studio to studio it is really important to have these things and even sometimes you`re own supplies, it would be a bit like me walking out the house now walking into someone elses and asking if i could borrow something they used to make their living, you just don`t do it.
Akkasha
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm a lab technician in a secondary school.....yeah i'm mad but I love my job so i'm very lucky really
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Mostly - primary supply teaching.
Couple of evenings a week - private tutoring (mainly the kid who's quiet in class and slips through the net a bit, or ones lacking confidence in Maths or English - to be honest it's more hassle than it's worth money-wise but I enjoy it)
Currently - 333 KS2 English SATs tests I'm marking.
Also get brought in to help my parents' business when they need a teacher figure (they run projects in schools and the voluntary sector).
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9