View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2010, 08:23 PM
A squeeky toy is self rewarding. So if you throw it out the dog doesn't have to retrieve it to have fun.

I don't like them at my classes, they destract the other dogs and I have seen one dog be sent over the edge by a squeeky toy
Someone said it triggered his prey drive and if a dog continues using a squeeky toy he will kill a puppy or baby who both apparently make the same noise. But I think that is a load of tosh!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Someone said it triggered his prey drive and if a dog continues using a squeeky toy he will kill a puppy or baby who both apparently make the same noise. But I think that is a load of tosh!
Well, that's pretty ridiculous! Dahlia LOVES squeaky toys. They're her favourite thing on earth. But she has never shown any interest in attacking a puppy or a baby. I think dogs are smart enough to be able to tell the difference!

Where DO people get these weird things from?
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Well, that's pretty ridiculous! Dahlia LOVES squeaky toys. They're her favourite thing on earth. But she has never shown any interest in attacking a puppy or a baby. I think dogs are smart enough to be able to tell the difference!

Where DO people get these weird things from?
I suppose it's because play is a dog acting out and practicing the chase and kill.
Is play drive not the same as prey drive?

But having said that, like you say, dogs should be able to tell the difference between a toy and a living and breathing creature.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We use a really tasty looking fluffy smiling cute chicken for Keishas agility, works everytime
But what does the chicken think about this Akitagirl? Aren't you worrried you'll get reported to the RSPB?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
I suppose it's because play is a dog acting out and practicing the chase and kill.
Is play drive not the same as prey drive?

But having said that, like you say, dogs should be able to tell the difference between a toy and a living and breathing creature.
Yeah it's being able to tell the difference. Play is always really a version a sort of prey drive. I mean, even in human beings it is. We play games of cops and robbers when we're kids, laser tag, paintball, even sports. All modified forms of more aggressive things. But we know the difference, and I think dogs do too.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
But what does the chicken think about this Akitagirl? Aren't you worrried you'll get reported to the RSPB?
That made me chuckle RSPB
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2