Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Strange behaviour after just waking up.

Ok so I'm sat here, both dogs are on one of their beds, they have decided to share again, Diesel's been asleep basically since when he got back from a walk after going on a wild goose chase (literally), but Diesel has just woken up, been looking down and growling a deep growl at nothing, he was not looking at Honey or anything, just woke up, lifted up his head, but looking down at the bed and started growling at God knows what, but it wasn't like a play growl or anything, I spoke at which point he stopped growling looked at me, and fell straight back to sleep. So what do you make of that? He's not down this before, and it just seems a bit strange. Oh and just to say that the dogs seem to always share a bed, they have plenty of chances to move onto other beds, but seem to prefer sharing the old one together
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:17 PM
May seem like a silly question... But are you sure he was awake?! Perhaps he was still dreaming (kinda like sleep talking?) and only woke when you spoke...

Just a theory!

Sarah xoxox
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I spoke at which point he stopped growling looked at me, and fell straight back to sleep.
Hi Chaz sounds like he was dreaming .
Dogs sometimes half open their eyes when they are in that between stage between being awake and sleeping and they may bark or growl.
Your speaking to him may have woken him up then he went back to sleep.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:26 PM
He is an active dreamer, his legs go, his tail wags and he makes noises when dreaming, but when he dreams his growl is different, this was more like a warning growl and he's only really ever growled like this a few times before when he's warning off other dogs, rather then his dream growl though, normally with his noises when he's asleep I just ignore him, but I do think that he was awake at this point.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh bless, I wonder if he'd just had a nightmare?

Merlin used to sleep at the end of my bed when he was a puppy and once he woke up suddenly, after an active dream and stared at me in horror as if he really didn't know who I was, and was terrified of me. It lasted only a few seconds but I will never forget that look. Thankfully it has never happened again. It did make me wonder about epilepsy at the time as his breed/s are prone to it, but fingers crossed he seems to be OK.
Steve + Nanook
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2010, 11:59 PM
When my pup was first allowed up in my room, I was playing with him and he looked over my shoulder, and started to growl, snarl and went into complete fight mode. I was honestly thinking some axe wielding maniac was behind me in mid swing.

Turns out, it was my dressing gown hanging on the back of the door, whereby he must have thought it was a figure. Dogs growl at nothing quite often, it's what leads people to believe they have a sixth sense and are looking into the eyes of something other-wordly. That or they can spot a tiny spider on the wall...
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 06:09 AM
I also think it sounds like he was having a bad dream & was either still half asleep or woke up a bit disorientated. If you've had a nightmare don't you sometimes wake up & it takes a few moments to realise where you are or to come round from your dream? This happens usually when dog/person wakes up direct from R.E.M. sleep. I wouldn't worry too much about it.