Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Just had a bit of a scare!

This evening we took Molly to Pontefract racecourse for her walk. We got about a mile around when Molly began playing with a lovely lurcher, they were racing around hell for leather. Mol had no chance of catching her but it didn't stop her trying. As Molly was chasing the lurcher at full pelt she misjudged coming through the white railings and ran into it shoulder first.

She screamed like a banshee and dropped to the floor like a stone, flat on her side. We ran over to her but she continued to scream. Myles ran back for the car as we were both sure she must have broken something. I knelt on the floor next to her and some good samaritans came over to offer assistance. There was nothing I could do but comfort her, she carried on yelping for almost 5 minutes.

She was down on her side for almost 10 minutes. Just as quickly as it had happened, the whites of her eyes disappeared, she pricked her ears, stopped screaming and stood up. I had a good feel of her shoulder and leg before allowing her to take a couple of steps.....................Nothing! No limp or anything!

Myles arrived with the car and we took Molly home. She is pottering around the house without a care in the world! I can't explain how relieved we are. I have always known she's a big baby, but good grief, what a performance she put on tonight!

No doubt she'll have some bruising to come out and may be sore for a few days but at least she's ok.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh wow sounds scary! I'm glad she's ok...I'd keep an eye on her just to be sure, they can be tough and don't always show that they're actually hurt, but it sounds like she got over it pretty well. I had something like that happen to me when Luke was a pup. He was playing at the park and Tyler threw the ball high in the air, he tried to catch it and when he came back down he must have twisted his leg a little bit. He didn't even scream like your girl and I was a MESS.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
OUCH !!!.
Hope all's well, it might be a bit stiff tomorrow though.

My first dog Louie did a similar thing, but it was a ruddy big tree he ran into !, how the hell he didn't see it I'll never know
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
GSDs are nothing if not drama queens!

Plenty of arnica both as pilules every two hours and arnica cream on the skin, she will be right as rain tomorrow.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh dear hope shes not feeling to bad tomorrow
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Poor Molly! I bet you were terrified! Hope she's not feeling too sore tomorrow
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Oh wow sounds scary! I'm glad she's ok...I'd keep an eye on her just to be sure, they can be tough and don't always show that they're actually hurt, but it sounds like she got over it pretty well. I had something like that happen to me when Luke was a pup. He was playing at the park and Tyler threw the ball high in the air, he tried to catch it and when he came back down he must have twisted his leg a little bit. He didn't even scream like your girl and I was a MESS.
I'll be keeping a close eye on her tomorrow for sure!
Originally Posted by celli View Post
OUCH !!!.
Hope all's well, it might be a bit stiff tomorrow though.

My first dog Louie did a similar thing, but it was a ruddy big tree he ran into !, how the hell he didn't see it I'll never know
She's a cumsy clot at the best of times

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
GSDs are nothing if not drama queens!

Plenty of arnica both as pilules every two hours and arnica cream on the skin, she will be right as rain tomorrow.
Well she doesn't let the GSDs down on the drama front!
Arnica already applied topically but I haven't given her anything orally. The only thing I've got in the house is Carprieve but I didn't really want to give her any tonight, I thought I'd see how she is in the morning.

Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
Oh dear hope shes not feeling to bad tomorrow
I hope so too x

Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Poor Molly! I bet you were terrified! Hope she's not feeling too sore tomorrow
It was certainly a heart stopping moment. I just felt so completely helpless. I'm normally very good in a crisis and although I may have appeared calm on the outside, my heart was racing like billyho!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2012, 09:19 PM
What a horrible thing to happen, and I bet those screams will stay in your head for a very long time but thank goodness she seems to be okay now.

Perhaps it was the shock of what happened that made her so upset, as well as the pain of thumping into something solid.

I do hope that she will be absolutely fine tomorrow, and not stiff or sore.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Our Cara did the same thing a few weeks ago, but instead of a railing or tree it was my husbands leg! So I had two down screaming in the park!!!!! Luckily both were okay

Ollie did some thing similar too jumped up to catch a ball and came straight down on his tail, I thought he had broke it, it swelled and he wasn't moving it at all so ended up at the vets, ends up it was sprained pretty bad but not broken, the vet said it was strange though as a GSP he injured it right where it would have been docked, if he had been docked.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What a horrible thing to happen, and I bet those screams will stay in your head for a very long time but thank goodness she seems to be okay now.

Perhaps it was the shock of what happened that made her so upset, as well as the pain of thumping into something solid.

I do hope that she will be absolutely fine tomorrow, and not stiff or sore.
I've no doubt it did hurt her, but I think you're right, I think the shock of it played a big part. I'll let you all know how she is tomorrow.

Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Our Cara did the same thing a few weeks ago, but instead of a railing or tree it was my husbands leg! So I had two down screaming in the park!!!!! Luckily both were okay
Ollie did some thing similar too jumped up to catch a ball and came straight down on his tail, I thought he had broke it, it swelled and he wasn't moving it at all so ended up at the vets, ends up it was sprained pretty bad but not broken, the vet said it was strange though as a GSP he injured it right where it would have been docked, if he had been docked.
Sorry, but that made me smile.....who did you attend to first?

I think I panicked a bit because many years ago a friend of mine was exercising his greyhound in the local woods. The dog ran head first into a tree and was killed instantly! My first thoughts when Molly went down were 'Oh my God, I've lost her!' I do not want those thoughts and feelings to come back for many years yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >