Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Firstly, in case you didn't know - it's a MUSICAL. Nevertheless, I wouldn't let my kids see it (if I had any), because it has some very explicit throatcutting scenes

Johnny Depp is a not-bad singer, and he manages to prevent Alan Rickman from doing his usual thing (- running away with every scene he turns up in). Having said that, Rickman is in good voice, too, as is the delightful Helena Bonham-Carter.

Look out for Johnny Depp (as Sweeney Todd) singing "My Friends" to his razors - creepy!

Not bad, unless you have an aversion to musicals. I'm not all that fond of them, but I quite enjoyed this one!

Snorri
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Not seen it yet, will probably wait untill its on Sky.
On another note the Ray Winston version is on BBC 2 tonight.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
It being a musical actually put me off...... I too shall wait until it's shown on Sky - thanks for the review, Snorri
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm not a great lover of musicals either but I might just brave it for Jonny Depp
Thanks Snorri
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I went to see this a while back, and didn`t know it was a musical, was a little dissappointed at first, but ended up really enjoying it.
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm not usually a fan of musicals, but I am a fan of Mr Depp *dribbles* and of Tim Burton, so when I got the chance to go see it at the cinema in January I jumped at the chance.

I LOVE this film, yes it is as Snorri says, rather gory (which I liked ) and I have it now on DVD. I have seen it so many times now I could happily sing along

Johnny Depp singing to his razors, yeah very creepy moment I agree with Snorri there too, (but since its Johnny Depp I still swooned )

OK I admit it, I initially only went becuase it was a Depp/Burton film so therefore at least worth a look, and also that I had heard Depps vocals were rather early David Bowie/Anthony Newley sounding (and made me laugh at first because of that) but it turned out to be a darn good film anyway in my opinion (but then I'm twisted ).
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
I really enjoyed it, bought it on Blu-Ray from Play.com so it arrived 3 days before being released. Watched it 4 times so far, didn't think I would enjoy it being a musical.......but Johnny Depp is in it, so I just had to watch it....lol.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
I watched, I think its one of those films you just have to watch and see,, I personly found it a bit boreing,, some of the singing was brutal,,, jmo,, though
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I didn't know it was a musical, but was very pleasantly surprised by Johnny Depp's voice! Really enjoyed it!!
Collielover
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Im sorry if this is an old thread but I just had to reply to it!

OMG Sweeney Todd is the best film ever!! I love this film so much, the songs are brilliant and Johnny depp *drools* is amazing as Sweeney Todd

When I first watched the film I was shocked about the ending but once I watched it again I was hooked and all the songs grew on me and now I love them all. ooo and I also love johnny depp (in case you hadent noticed )
I would highly recomend this film to everyone (unless you dont like blood) and its better to watch it more then once
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >