Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kd30
New Member!
Male 

17-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Beautiful husky requires home for 6 month on mainland europe

Hi,
I am in urgent need for a home in europe for my dog that I had to leave behind in South Africa when I moved to the Uk.I was originally going to import her straight to the UK but after visiting the quarantine kennels here ,I wouldn't be able to put her through this for 6 month.Its not fair on her!

She is very tame and has passed her K9 good citizen test.
She has completed all tests,shots required to travel to Europe.
I will pay for all expenses.Please help us to bring our shika home , we miss her.

here is the lates picture of her:
http://www.[System edit: Contains pe...f&id=618945856
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Can I just get this straight -
the husky is in South Africa, and you are now in London and want to bring the dog over.
6 month quarantine rules are LAW and there for good reasons - to protect our animals from disease. There are various approved quarantine kennels to choose so you can select what will suit you and your animal from so are you trying to by pass this by putting it with somone else for 6 months? What is the point of this? Unless it's one of the approved kennels it will not work as quarantine and will be ILLEGAL. If you tried to do this your dog would probably be seized on its way into the country anyway and then you almost definately wouldn't get a choice of where it will stay.

I honestly don't understand your request.

If you are looking for a list of the approved kennels - Defra has one on its website. They are all over the UK.

If i have misunderstood at all please let me know and i can try and help in a different way.
kd30
New Member!
Male 

17-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Can I just get this straight -
the husky is in South Africa, and you are now in London and want to bring the dog over.
6 month quarantine rules are LAW and there for good reasons - to protect our animals from disease. There are various approved quarantine kennels to choose so you can select what will suit you and your animal from so are you trying to by pass this by putting it with somone else for 6 months? What is the point of this? Unless it's one of the approved kennels it will not work as quarantine and will be ILLEGAL. If you tried to do this your dog would probably be seized on its way into the country anyway and then you almost definately wouldn't get a choice of where it will stay.

I honestly don't understand your request.

If you are looking for a list of the approved kennels - Defra has one on its website. They are all over the UK.

If i have misunderstood at all please let me know and i can try and help in a different way.

Nothing illegal about this at all as you can import a dog to most european states without quarantine and then apply for PETS passport.The dog will go through all the required tests but will not have to go into quarantine.I believe the UK is the only EC member that still has quarantine in place.

After 6 months and another rabies antibody test (she already had one 3 month ago) the dog can then travel to the UK.

I actually got this idea when I phoned up DEFRA to discuss alternatives to quarantine.

Rgds,
Kim
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Ah ok! I think i understand now! That makes sense.
But i have to be honest and say i appreciate that not all the quarantine kennels in the UK are ideal but because there is a large selection to choose from i, personally, would much prefer my dog to be housed there where i can visit it than in another country with basically a stranger off the internet. I think the risk of what could happen to my dog far outweighs any pros but that's just my two pence. I hope you have success with whatever you choose to do.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Might be worth contacting the dogsey member Moons mum, she has recently had to Quarantine a dog and has been really impressed with the kennels and care Moon (the dog) has been getting.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 02:29 PM
There is a very good quarantine kennel in Colchester Par air, it's featured on the Pet Passport TV programme. I live not far from it. If you wanted to get them to organise bringing your dog over I could go and visit regularly for you and send you regular reports.. I know how you feel though, I'm not sure I would want my dogs to go into quarantine. I was offered a job in LA a few years ago and I didn't take it because I couldn't bring the dogs back and forward with me.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I can understand your worries with quarantine kennels, but I would be far more concerned with a stranger having my dog for 6 months ?? you never know someone well enough online to trust them in that way...

At least with a quarantine kennel you can visit them and see that they are being taken care of.

I would recommend you have a look on Moons mum threads as someone has mentioned she has quarantined Moon and has been happy with the care.

Good luck.
dani
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by kd30 View Post
Nothing illegal about this at all as you can import a dog to most european states without quarantine and then apply for PETS passport.The dog will go through all the required tests but will not have to go into quarantine.I believe the UK is the only EC member that still has quarantine in place.

After 6 months and another rabies antibody test (she already had one 3 month ago) the dog can then travel to the UK.

I actually got this idea when I phoned up DEFRA to discuss alternatives to quarantine.

Rgds,
Kim
You are completely correct Kim, the important point (which is often not understood) is that importing a dog from Europe into the UK requires all the rabies etc. to have been done just as if the dog had been in quarantine kennels in UK - I have just been looking into this, I was unclear, but there's a good thread on Dogsey about it if i can find it I'll post it up.

Will ask OH about taking a third but I think she'll say no because our Bara is quite aggressive to other dogs unless they are totally submissive, she (Bara) has to be the top dog or there's trouble, sorry.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:33 PM
When I came over to the UK from South Africa I brought 4 dogs with me. They did their time in quarantine kennels without any problems. There was no change in their temperaments etc. When they came home they were a little bit clingy for a day or so but then went straight back to normal. Whilst 6 months in kennels isn't very nice for them, at least they got to spend the rest of their lives with me. If you find one relatively local to you then you could visit as often as you like
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 07:26 AM
I think you have had good advice. Personally...as much as I'd hate it....I'd rather quarantine a dog rather than a complete stranger off the internet have it. No matter how nice someone sounded alsorts can happen to your dog. At least in quarantine you get to visit as often as you want, and you can be sure the dog is well looked after.

Like someone said...check out Moon's Mom's post they brought a dog over.

Hope all goes well for you
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >