register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mdifrancia
New Member!

23-01-2005, 07:58 PM

Help...INJURED DOG...and we're trapped in a Blizzard...

Hey all...

Writing from the USA here...We're currently experiencing one of the worst blizzards in over 30 years...Possibly will break records from 1903...So obviously there will be no trips to the vet anytime soon...

My Shiba Inu (Doris) has not been herself the last day or two...It wasn't apparent that there was really something wrong until this morning...She wasn't moving as fast and spry as she normally does...Her appetite was off and she was opting for sleep on the floor instead of on the couch...

At first I suspected a heart attack or stroke, but she's alert, and she will eat chicken and drink broth, she's just moving in slow motion...A few days ago, she took a slight tumble...She's almost 10 pounds heavier than my 3 other Shiba's, so she seems pretty indestructable...But she's also 8 years old...She seemed like she might have twisted her front paw, but the gimping stopped, so we figured she was fine...

Just now, I gave her a good prodding from front to back, checking for sore spots...She has a slight lump, that's sore to the touch, half way down her back...I assume she hurt it when she fell...Probably a sprain or worse a disk problem...

What can I do to keep her comfortable until I can get her to a vet???

Thanks in advance!!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Yikes!!!! Sorry I can't help. I just hope you can get help somehow.

I hope someone who can help, comes around soon.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi there just seen your terrible blizzards on the tv.

Your dog.. .don't be tempted to give human painkillers to your dog ,they can be fatal
.. it may be a damaged nerve, try to get to the vet when you can, until then keep the dog as immobile as possible, no jumping up on the sofa, this will give damaged tissue chance to heal. Also heat is good, keep the dog wrapped in a blanket if you can and with a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (not too hot don't burn the dog). If you have a hot wheat pack warm it and put it on the sore part. Give her small meals and more often and make sure she has water within reach so that she does not need to get up and go far to get it. Hope things improve for you all soon,I will be back later, please say if I can help in any way, good luck, mini x
Topdog
Dogsey Junior

23-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Vitamin c will relieve pain, help quicken healing...
check out this article:
Calcium Ascorbate: A gentler type of Vitamin C which is non acidic and therefore easier on the stomach.

Currently, dogs are fed foods that are cooked which diminishes the amount of Vitamin C. Dogs do produce some Vitamin C but not enough. Dogs in the wild, when they kill their prey; the first thing they will eat is the stomach which is abundant in pre-digested vegetable matter (Vitamin C) The importance of Vitamin C is to strengthen the collagen and gives the joints more strength. Benefits from using Vitamin C are dogs are less likely to develop hip dysplasia, spinal myelopathy, ruptured discs, viral diseases and skin problems and it will strengthen the immune system.

Dosages as recommended by Dr. Wendell Belfield, D.V.M. in his book "How to Have a Healthier Dog" (Doubleday, New York, 1981): Small dogs; 500 to 1500 mgs. Medium dogs: 1500 to 3000 mg. Large dogs: 3000 to 6000mg. Giant dogs: 6000 to 7500 mg.

As with humans, all dogs are different and will utilize Vitamin C differently depending upon stress levels, activity levels etc. Begin with the lowest dosage and gradually increase the dosage. Typical signs of excess Vitamin C will be a loose stool This is not harmful but is a good indication that you have exceeded your dog's appropriate dosage.

Buffered
Vitamin C
100 tablets
$ 9.00

Buffered
Vitamin C
250 tablets
$ 18.00

Buffered
Vitamin C
Crystals
4.4 oz.
$ 13.00

Buffered
Vitamin C
Crystals
8.8 oz.
$ 25.00

For Information: (845) 354-4949
Orders: (800) 730-7941
Fax: (845) 362-0023
Email: natfinpet@aol.com

The Statements made on this web page have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
see:
http://nsfinestonline.safeshopper.com/18/cat18.htm?749
article from:
http://members5.boardhost.com/SUPERNATURAL/msg/347.htm
mdifrancia
New Member!

23-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks Folks...

I just had a neighbor make it over with some aspirin...It's Bayer...325 mg. Just plain coated aspirin...Is that safe to give her and how much???

She weighs about 11 kg...
Meg
Supervisor

23-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by mdifrancia
Thanks Folks...

I just had a neighbor make it over with some aspirin...It's Bayer...325 mg. Just plain coated aspirin...Is that safe to give her and how much???
She weighs about 11 kg...
no, not safe to give human analgesia to dogs, they can have a reaction and have anaphylactic shock and die . Paracetamol and Ibuprophen are the worst but I would not give any, if you had a severe reaction with no vet you would be in a real mess. Do the above with heat and restricted movement,also try to keep the dog calm and quiet, that is what your vet would advise . If you look up dogs and pain killers on the net you will see I am right.
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Hi mdifrancia Have tried to pm you but not received.. please click 'messages' above. If you come back to read here please can you let me know how your dog is? I was worried about you
Best wishes mini x
mdifrancia
New Member!

26-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey all...

Yes Mini...She's doing better...Still slow, but markedly better...We got 38 inches of snow...8 foot drifts...80 mile an hour winds, but we did fairly well...Doris may need a trip to the vet and roads are cleared now...I'm going to wait it out and see if she continues to improve first...Thanks for your concern...

Is this vitamin C thing for real???
It sounds like advertising...No offense intended...
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by mdifrancia
Hey all...
Yes Mini...She's doing better...Still slow, but markedly better...We got 38 inches of snow...8 foot drifts...80 mile an hour winds, but we did fairly well...Doris may need a trip to the vet and roads are cleared now...I'm going to wait it out and see if she continues to improve first...Thanks for your concern...
Is this vitamin C thing for real???
It sounds like advertising...No offense intended...
MF that is such good news Doris is improving, maybe it was a trapped nerve? My dog had that when she was a puppy and could not walk, I thought she was going to stay that way but she recovered fully in about a couple of weeks Heat and imobilisation are the best thing for that sort of thing.
Hope we don't get your weather later, we sometimes seem to. Yep am sure TD is for real and I agree about vitamin C being good for dogs and humans, it helps with the healing process amongst other things. I tend to prefer to feed and eat fresh fruit/veg themselves rather than supplimens. If you look at the articles section at the top of the page you can go to and read info from a holistic vet this inclues ia bit on vC/veg. Hope things keep improving for Doris as they are now and keep in touch. Best wishes, Mini