Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Swollen glands.

I have noticed that Tonks has small lumps under her jaw bone one either side (near where jaw meets neck). One is larger than the other and i pressume they are glands as they are in a similar position to where human lymph glands are.

She is teething at the moment and i wondered if this might be the cause of it, she also has ongoing runny eye at the moment, but the larger lump is on the opposite side the bad eye.

Has anyone else had any experience of dogs glands swelling when they are teething?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 06:16 AM
No experience, Catrin, but if you're worried, I would recommend calling your vet for some advice. Hope all is well x0x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 06:44 AM
hi hun never had that problem with my gang, it might pay to speak to the vet just to be on the safe side. incase there is in an infection hun. hope all goes well
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Thank you - she has woken up with green gunky eyes again this morning so we will be back to the vets.

This is the third time she has had conjuntivis in the past 6 weeks, each time she has treatment it really improves but only ever to 99% better. She's had two lots of treatment, vet said the next step might be taking swabs to see what is going on so maybe that is what the glands are all about.

Thanks for your advice.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Hope the vet visit goes well, hon. Keep us posted please

*Hugs* x0x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Will do - i think i was hoping it was related to teething rather than the eyes - wish it would clear up once and for all.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Keep us informed, swollen glands do normally mean there's an infection somewhere near the area. I hope the vet manages to get to the bottom of it.

(hugs)

Heidi
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I do too figgle - i think three lots of conjunctivitis before five months of age is enough! It's only very mild conjuntivitis but it's definately there.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:36 AM
is this dog a puppy ( under 6 months )

sticky eye .... lump on the neck sounds like puppy strangles (juvenille pyoderma) i have had experience of this in a pup

if you decide to google it you might be worried so see your vet first this condition IF IT IS is treated with high doses of antibiotics and steroids

sorry to sound negative i read this and the alarm bells were ringing i had a puo with a sticky eye that was treated then came back then the lump in the neck appeared also look on the pups lips or inside the mouth check for any sores..
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
is this dog a puppy ( under 6 months )

sticky eye .... lump on the neck sounds like puppy strangles (juvenille pyoderma) i have had experience of this in a pup

if you decide to google it you might be worried so see your vet first this condition IF IT IS is treated with high doses of antibiotics and steroids

sorry to sound negative i read this and the alarm bells were ringing i had a puo with a sticky eye that was treated then came back then the lump in the neck appeared also look on the pups lips or inside the mouth check for any sores..
Thank you for your reply - yes she is under 6 months. I did notice that she had what looked like a bruise on her gum the other day - it was where a tooth had fallen out and i thought it might have been due to that or from playing (lots of mouth to mouth mouthing) with my friends very strong dog.

I have made an appointment with the vet for 5.15 this evening.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >