register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Shock Collars - are elctronic control collars becoming more popular?

Is any-one else out there worried about the sudden popularity in using these shock collars on dogs?

I hate seeing adverts for them and wonder how they are even legal.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 10:49 AM
i think the reason they are gaining in popularity is because a lot of people nowadays are lazy and they want a quick fix to their dogs problems rather than work on the root cause. The "remote control dog" idea appeals to some people.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Think you can achieve the same results with a spray collar and I see no good reason to inflict pain on a dog.
pete
Almost a Veteran

07-02-2005, 10:58 AM
ive only seen a spray collar used once by a very experienced handler ,and thats were i think they should lie with very experienced handlers as a last resort.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 11:02 AM
you can achieve the same results with the spray collars but the spray has to be refilled regularly, and some dogs arent the slightest bit bothered by it, or become immune to it, especially in the case of persistent barkers, they actually learn to bark to empty the spray chamber, therefore making the problem worse

if you look on Ebay you will see that the static shock collars are marketed as a cheaper alternative to the spray ones, as you dont have to buy refills at £10 per time and it also says they are reported as being more effective.

Shock collars tend to cause skin irritation round the neck area from the prongs rubbing on the dogs skin especially on short coated breeds, so they have their drawbacks too. They do have adjustable settings and you can use a warning tone with no stimulation to correct the dog, but this usually requires the dog receives several shocks first to learn to assciate it with the warning tone.

these collars can be abused in the hands of a bad trainer, since they are so readily available, it makes sense to assume some may use them in a negative and cruel way on their dogs
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Well I have used a spray collar for all sorts of reasons in fact I am using one now, they have always worked for me and have avoided dogs hurting themselves. Think like clicker training timing is all importaint but then with all training timing is inportant and we can't all be very experienced. what is it that worries you about the use of water spray collars, the problem with shock collars I can understand, they hurt, water just grabs the dogs attention.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

07-02-2005, 11:07 AM
are you talking about the masterplus or aboistop?
how do you find it for spray consumption? how often would you say you have to refill if you dont mind me asking?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:09 AM
You do have to refill a spray collar but you usually only have to fire it a couple of times to get the result you require so I have never found the refilling a problem. You have to change the battery too but then the same would apply to a shock collar.

EDIT as you posted as I did, I have used both and the Master is the best as you have control and can use it for all sorts of training not just barking. Have used the automatic type for barking when I lived in a terrace and found after it was refilled twice just the collar would work for a while and I only refilled when the dogs required a reminder of what could happen if they barked too much.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I am considering a spray collar....
I have a 12 month old pup who although quiet indoors barks CONSTANTLY in the car and after 1 1/2 hours of barking when traveling to a show I have had enough.
I have tried everything...I have sat in the back of the car and tried reward based training...I have tried a water pistol....I have tried going out for car rides with no 'walk' at the end of it...etc etc
I am now ready to try a collar as a last resort...either that or tie him to the roof rack ...only joking
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 11:53 AM
i think the reason they are gaining in popularity is because a lot of people nowadays are lazy and they want a quick fix to their dogs problems rather than work on the root cause. The "remote control dog" idea appeals to some people.

Well said CBT

I think theres a bit of a difference between a spray collar and an elctric collar or a prong collar
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »