Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Pippam, you think children should be tethered?!
I'm trying to say no....
I know its logical and cruel to think of tethering a kid
But sometimes just sometimes o.0
I mean people all ready leash their children you see their kids on those harnesses in high streets to stop them running off.

meh im just kidding.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J
Pippam, you think children should be tethered?!
I can think of plenty of kids that may benefit from a good tethering
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Yes I agree. I have two german shepherds who are very vocal at my fence but if anyone came in the gate (which they won't as it's always padlocked) they wouldn't attack them. If I thought for one moment that I had a dog that would attack somebody even on my premises I would put the dog to sleep myself.
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Same here NorthernSoulGirl. I thought the post I quoted was one of the most heartless I've read with regard to what happened to that tiny child.
Can I just ask on this comment, if somebody came onto your property intent on some sort of harm to you or yours and your dogs did bite in defense of you would still pts?

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I agree that the parents do need to take much more responsibility for their behaviour - if my child got badly hurt because they'd wandered off and fallen down a ditch,I'd not blame the ditch, I'd blame myself!

I think it is sadly the case that so often people don't want responsibiiity and prefer to blame something or someone else. In this case, the dog who was in the garden.

When in reality, it is down to their own lack of care. That does sound harsh, and I empathise with them so much, but I think it is the truth unfortunately
I'm with you this - surely the parents are somewhat responsible for where their child is - we hear so much about children being abucted surely its common sense to not let them wander off out of sight?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I can think of plenty of kids that may benefit from a good tethering
Now there's something we agree on

Seriously though are reins not acceptable now?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now there's something we agree on

They may develop long lines they all ready have those harnesses.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Can I just ask on this comment, if somebody came onto your property intent on some sort of harm to you or yours and your dogs did bite in defense of you would still pts?

I'm with you this - surely the parents are somewhat responsible for where their child is - we hear so much about children being abucted surely its common sense to not let them wander off out of sight?
If a child or person wandered aimlessly into my garden then I would not expect my dogs to race up mindlessly and attack them. If, on the other hand, I started screaming and yelling and the persons on my premises started to threaten me then I expect my dogs would start barking and carrying on. If they did bite the intruders then I would not be thinking of euthanising them, it's a completely different situation IMO.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Apart from basic consideration for others and agreeing to the supermarkets rules (their land their rules). It isn't easy to sort out more than one child to get anywhere.

I love the viewpoint that because someone had one child they know how difficult or otherwise it is for mothers generally!

Empathy lacking in a big way.

rune
I only had one of my own. But would frequently take out my neighbour's 2 with mine, making 3 - all under the age of 5.

I fail to see why numbers should make any difference in any case to the argument. 1 child or 4, you still don't need extra wide spaces to get your children safely in and out of a car without bashing other people's cars.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I used to get the strangest looks when my daughter wore reins when walking beside me while my son was in his pushchair.

That would have been circa 1971/1972 as she was unable to walk properly until then.

Even then reins were apparently not acceptable.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Regarding the original post .... many pages ago ... it is understandable that the parents of this toddler feel immense guilt, anger and upset at what happened to their little boy. It is however, totally inappropriate to blame the dog and it's owners in these circumsta nces. The dog paid with it's life and their son is scarred for life, for the mistakes these parents made.

As for the "other" matter, has no-one heard of internet grocery shopping You don't have to worry about any parking places at all then

Great, innit!! The only time I go into a supermarket now is to get my Gin on a friday night - OH for some strange reason refuses to buy this online for me
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say. The child is too young to be 'guilty' of committing any offence - civil or criminal - of 'trespass'. The age of responsibility in UK law is ten years old. The child wandered off. Heap all the blame on the child's family if you will and exonerate the dog (and the dog's charming owner) but for heaven's sake - this was a toddler!

I think the point the poster was making is that the PARENTS are to blame for the child trespassing, which indeed they are. I am sure there cannot be a parent in the land whose child has not temporarily wandered off, mine included, during a moment of distraction. It is terrifying, but it is YOUR fault if your child wanders off, and YOU are responsible for the consequences. Of course the blame lies firmly in the hands of the child's family, as tragic an accident as it was - do you think the owner of the dog should be blamed?
Page 7 of 26 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »