Our sister sites
donwhitehead
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 07:38 PM

Rimadyl side effects

Before you allow your dog to be given Rimadyl read this

WARNING: Rimadyl Allegedly Causes Dogs Death

For many of us, our pets are as important to us as our human companions.

That's why some dog owners are warning people about a drug that is killing some dogs.

"We want to give someone else a chance to know the side effects of this drug. We weren't given those side effects."

Paul and Tammy Michelfelder say Rimadyl drug killed their dog.

"The Vet put her on Rimadyl for arthritis that was supposed to help her get by."

They said they were told Rimadyl would make Scarlett a new dog.

Pfizer used to run TV commercials showing dogs acting like puppies after taking Rimadyl. Pfizer has pulled the ads.

Instead of seeing results like the commercial showed, the Michelfelders watched Scarlett get sick -- fast.

Paul Michelfelder said, "Friday we noticed the same thing, no appetite, we got up Saturday morning and Tammy looked at the dog and she was yellow,"

"I went and got a flashlight and she was just laying in the grass and she couldn't get up," Tammy added.

"Now we were put in the position at that point to put the dog down or give her a fighting chance," Paul said.

They spent several thousand dollars fighting what the veterinarian noted as "Rimadyl toxicity."

The Michelfelders say they eventually had to put Scarlett to sleep. Her ashes are held in a box to remind the family of their beloved pet.

The Michelfelders have joined a class action lawsuit against Pfizer. Also participating in the lawsuit is Michelle Walsh. Walsh says she was one of the first to lose a dog. She then helped found a national organization called B.A.R.K.S. -- Be Aware of Rimadyl's Known Side Affects.

"Let my dog be an example. There's no feeling like knowing you just killed your own dog."

Michelle feels Rimadyl killed her dog named Samantha, and she says the dog she still has, Gwendolyn, survived the drug, but barely.

"Gwendolyn is in almost complete liver failure. We're hanging on by threads."

These two incidents were among thousands of complications reported to the Food and Drug Administration. The FDA says its Center for Veterinary Medicine was swamped with Rimadyl complaints of Adverse Drug Events also called ADE's.

The FDA reports more than 10,000 ADEs in 3 years. The FDA says about 1500 of those are deaths.

The FDA says it insisted that Pfizer include the word "death" in their Rimadyl commercials. The Administration says Pfizer didn't want to use the word death -- and pulled their ads instead.

Pfizer added an insert to the Rimadyl packaging which does include the word "death," but people like Paul Michelfelder say it's not informative enough.

"Had a vet told me a possible side effect was liver damage, there's no way I would have put that dog on that drug. No way."

The FDA also told 5 Investigates that "Veterinarians are now the weakest link in the Rimadyl chain."

The FDA is planning to try to further educate vets on the potential dangers of Rimadyl.

No one seems to deny -- Rimadyl is a useful drug. Pfizer veterinarian Dr. Malcolm Kram told 5 Investigates that it remains the most important drug in treating canine arthritis.

Dr. Malcolm Kram told us, "We've used Rimadyl in over five million dogs with the overwhelming majority of these animals having improved life, improved movement and in many cases actually saving them from euthanasia where they otherwise would have been put to sleep because they just can't get around like they used to."

Many other vets and the FDA confirm this. Even Michelle Walsh believes Rimadyl can be useful.

Talk to your vet. Do your own research. And because the side effects typically happen very quickly, monitor your pet carefully.

The FDA told us the potential side effects are just as likely to affect young dogs as older ones. We cannot emphasize enough -- monitor your animals carefully and talk to your vet about getting liver tests soon after putting your pet on Rimadyl.

Also, if your dog was previously using this drug, you may want to get in touch with:
Pfizer:
the FDA:
or B.A.R.K.S.:

source: http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?s=343171
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 07:48 PM
... long term use of nsaid's should be monitored by renal function tests at least every 3 months.

...these side effects are well known,and vets advise of side effects and if the patient either vomits or have dire rear they are told to stop using the drug....usually if these thing are followed any side effects are reversed.

also...clients should read the data sheets supplied with these drugs.

if all of the above are followed....extreme cases such as u describe are very rare(heartbreaking still)

no drugs are risk free and u have to weigh up the pros and cons.

since nsaid's have been used... so many dogs quality of life has improved,they really do have a place imo
donwhitehead
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Very good but few vets provide data sheets . As for cases being rare - you only have to Google to find how many people have lost dogs through this drug. I speak from personal experience.
donwhitehead
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Very good but all I am saying is dog owners should be aware of possible side effects. Monitoring at 3 months is not enough for older dogs which may be less tolerant to this drug.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by donwhitehead View Post
Very good but few vets provide data sheets . As for cases being rare - you only have to Google to find how many people have lost dogs through this drug. I speak from personal experience.
im very sorry to hear that

...i speak from personal experience too(i am a vn)

googleing things does not give u the true picture though.(only a grieving owners view)

as said,stop the drug immediately u think their are side effects these things can be avoided(in the main).....as well as not trying to avoid the necessary renal function tests.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by donwhitehead View Post
Very good but all I am saying is dog owners should be aware of possible side effects. Monitoring at 3 months is not enough for older dogs which may be less tolerant to this drug.
if they are intolerant in any way they should not be on the drug!

an older dog should have renal function tested before being put on the drug.

also 3 months is hard enough for most owners to pay for(and many owners do not believe it is necessary ,and u have explain and convince them why they are!)...but their is nothing stopping owners asking for these tests more frequently.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if they are intolerant in any way they should not be on the drug!

an older dog should have renal function tested before being put on the drug.

also 3 months is hard enough for most owners to pay for(and many owners do not believe it is necessary ,and u have explain and convince them why they are!)...but their is nothing stopping owners asking for these tests more frequently.
The average pet owner does not realise they can ask for more frequent blood tests. I have done so with regards thyroid & renal pets, most take what the vet says as gospel & stick to it rigidly

No matter what the drug it takes us as pet owners to be aware there may be side effects & act on it accordingly. Don't be afraid to question. Our renal dog was put on a different drug recently and the dose she was on did not agree, she was very sick, rather than stop it we cut the dose in half - vet is aware. She will have regular blood tests to monitor her condition on this drug.

I'm very sorr for your loss x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 05:39 AM
Rimadyl is a very good drug and does an excellent job, helping many many dogs.
As with all drugs it does not suit every dog, just like human drugs don't suit every human and where one person will have a severe reaction and even die from a drug another will be helped immensely.
Unfortunatly as humans as soon as we read a good horror story about a drug or in fact anything we can turn something from being very safe into being ready to kill or maim any animal thats given it.
I have used it many times on several different dogs and I cannot praise it highly enough.
As with all drugs you need to be aware of the side effects (and I am sure if we all read what anything including a good old paracetamol can do and believed it would happen to us if we took one, then we would never take a thing again), I do agree vets do not warn of the dangers with this or any drug usually and you don't always get a leaflet with it if the pills are put in a pot. I do feel owners should be given a brief overview of what side effects to look for, and I hope with Rimadyl, Previcox etc etc all owners are told they must be given with food.
As owners though we are responsible for asking the vet what we are about to put into our pets and then making an informed decision together.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:22 AM
There must have been a less worrying way of putting this, surely? Many owners use Rymadil to give their pets relief from pain, and I think a simple please be aware that in a minority of cases dogs can react badly would have sufficed.
Some people can die from a peanut. It doesn`t mean everyone needs to be worried - just to be aware.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 07:27 AM
When you consider that adults have killed themselves due to not bothering to listen or read the advice regarding medication, it is hardly surprising that the same happens to dogs.

Blaming others for your own mistakes is human nature, but nothing in life is without risk.

Every decision we make has pros and cons.

Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >