Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Dear god.

Thank god the shops are opened on Sundays etc now so that people who really don't want to do this, have an excuse not to! Many people can't think of anything worse!

Not everyone lives in big, happy clappy families and wishes to spend a large amount of time with them.

I actually wanted my grandparents (who I live it) to go down to their daughters for Christmas and New Year - they wouldn't have any of it! I'd rather have been on my own with the dogs over Christmas and New Year (in between working) - I'd have been in my element!
I notice you don't say you want to go to the shop though.

I, as I have said, have been on my own at Christmas..I have also spent it with people I don't want to be with.

I stress the importance of family time because at the moment that is important to me...but for all of us it could be going and walking the dogs on a Sunday (which is generally what we do, we go have a hike somewhere a bit different ) I don't feel the need to spend it in a shop.

The shops are open to make money. They started opening on a Sunday because of pressure from large stores...to make money.....

It won't change...they will soon be open on Christmas Day as well...personally, I don't like it. I don't think they should be..but hey, I am allowed an opinion. I don't need to go to the shop when I am on my own...

ETA: In fairness though I am never on my own as I have my dogs
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I notice you don't say you want to go to the shop though.

I, as I have said, have been on my own at Christmas..I have also spent it with people I don't want to be with.

I stress the importance of family time because at the moment that is important to me...but for all of us it could be going and walking the dogs on a Sunday (which is generally what we do, we go have a hike somewhere a bit different ) I don't feel the need to spend it in a shop.

The shops are open to make money. They started opening on a Sunday because of pressure from large stores...to make money.....

It won't change...they will soon be open on Christmas Day as well...personally, I don't like it. I don't think they should be..but hey, I am allowed an opinion. I don't need to go to the shop when I am on my own...
I didn't go to the shops yesterday, but I have done many times in the past, including last year and I would do again.

The only reason I didn't go yesterday was due to the risk of snow here and icy road warnings on the road to the shopping centre from where we live. I don't really need and didn't really want anything, so I didn't go.

Plus I didn't really sleep well on xmas night and couldn't really be bothered. But I have no problem with people who do want to hit the shops Boxing Day or those who choose not to. There is a choice both ways and if it keeps the economy going, then I'm all for it.

Thinking back, I wish I had gone shopping yesterday as I could do with new trousers and I'm back to work soon!

The pavements here are covered in ice, so I drove to the park and took the dogs a good walk - if I couldn't went a long trek with the dogs, I would've done, but it was downright dangerous with the ground conditions at the moment.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I didn't go to the shops yesterday, but I have done many times in the past, including last year and I would do again.

The only reason I didn't go yesterday was due to the risk of snow here and icy road warnings on the road to the shopping centre from where we live. I don't really need and didn't really want anything, so I didn't go.

Plus I didn't really sleep well on xmas night and couldn't really be bothered. But I have no problem with people who do want to hit the shops Boxing Day or those who choose not to. There is a choice both ways and if it keeps the economy going, then I'm all for it.

Thinking back, I wish I had gone shopping yesterday as I could do with new trousers and I'm back to work soon!

The pavements here are covered in ice, so I drove to the park and took the dogs a good walk - if I couldn't went a long trek with the dogs, I would've done, but it was downright dangerous with the ground conditions at the moment.
I don't think shops opening on Boxing Day keep the economy going...
Yep, people can choose to go, or choose not to go. Fact is though, people working in the shops don't get the choice of whether they want to work, indeed a friend was told, when she told her manager she didn't want to work on Boxing Day, that she would be put on a disciplinary if she didn't.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't think shops opening on Boxing Day keep the economy going...
Yep, people can choose to go, or choose not to go. Fact is though, people working in the shops don't get the choice of whether they want to work, indeed a friend was told, when she told her manager she didn't want to work on Boxing Day, that she would be put on a disciplinary if she didn't.
It does contribute to keeping some business going as many people do choose to shop on public holidays. And it does keep people in jobs.

There are many people who would love to have the choice not to work public holidays, but they don't. Likewise people who choose to work them.

We weren't allowed any time off work at all after the first week of December, all through December and at New Year, apart from the Public Holidays (which I'd have preferred to have worked) - and if I don't like it, I can lump it basically! I'm glad of the work and the job, especially with the way things are just now.

A friend of mine had to work yesterday, but she knew the score of the job and that's it! She's glad of the job.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:37 AM
It doesn't contribute to keeping many businesses going as most of the ones open are the huge ones.
I understand my hubby having to work and my sis in law (arranging Chrsitmas is difficult most years as they also work shifts) as they work in 'vital' jobs...other people would still have a job if the shops weren't open. Opening the shops on Boxing Day...is not 'vital'
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:42 AM
It doesn't contribute to keeping many businesses going as most of the ones open are the huge ones.
I understand my hubby having to work and my sis in law (arranging Chrsitmas is difficult most years as they also work shifts) as they work in 'vital' jobs...other people would still have a job if the shops weren't open. Opening the shops on Boxing Day...is not 'vital'
Yes, but please think of the folk who choose to work these hoidays because they really do need the money in order to survive and pay bills.

I don't work in a shop, but I work for a company that make billions in profits (none of which we see - we don't get bonuses or wage rises at all and it isn't a highly paid job either).

I really would've loved to have worked the public holidays because I need the money, not because I'm greedy and want the money.

ETA: Spending does contribute to the economy and public holidays are massive spending days and when many people are likely to shop.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2010, 08:53 AM
So some people agree and some don't.

I do think Sunday and bank hols opening has spoilt family life.

People used to go to the beach or moors or swimming on a Sunday and have a ''family' roast.

Now they go shopping AND HAVE A BURGER and think its normal.

I know I would rather be with my family and that's where I am every Sunday and bank hols cause that's where I wanna be,

If you have no family I do sympathise if you have no friends I wonder why that is.

No shop is going to go bust because they shut on a bank hol or Sunday IT IS GREED.

A shop is NOT an emergency service.

Not all shops pay extra to work either the shop where I work does not so nobody is earning any extra.

So to the people that want to work for the extra money will you still when you just get your normal single time?

A company is under no legal obligation to pay you extra or give you lieu time for working a bank hol so in the current climate everybody is banging on about when this ''perk'' is stopped will you be quite so eager?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I remember a time when the shops only opened 9-5-30pm weekdays some maybe 6pm the corner shops there weren't many then and no offense meant but were run mostly by white people round our neck of the woods anyway and only opened 9-5-30pm too and a Saturday and the news-agents which if I remember were incorporated into the tiny corner shops till no later than 1pm on a Sunday. We all managed we had too. The economy was certainly not in the state it is in now.

When the first Sunday opening of shops came into force it was said that people would not be forced to work it would be for those like some of you say who wanted to work for some mums with young children this was a good idea they could work some evenings when their OH was at home and the children were in bed or the weekends when dad was home and happy to have them.

That idea soon went out of the window big stores we all know the ones got greedier then started to put it into peoples contracts they had to work weekends at least on a rota basis and some late evenings. So a lot of people have no choice now.

I am guilty I sometimes shop on a Sunday but because it is there. I am sure if it wasn't I would make sure I got what I needed by closing time Saturday like I use too.

If shops want to open fair enough but people should only work if they want or need too not because they are forced to which I am afraid is the case now it seems.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 09:08 AM
What about the folk who work Monday - Saturday (sometimes Sunday - like myself) and are tired at the end of each day that they can't be bothered with shops as they have chores to do and dogs to walk, groom and play with? Sundays may be the only day they (I) have.

Please, get with the real world folks and stop living in the past!

Shops opening Sundays haven't ruined family life. As we've said, many professions have to work Sundays and that has been the case for many years.

Lack of morals, standards, discipline and the PC brigade have! Just IMO, of course.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2010, 09:11 AM
We all have different opinions and I have shared mine and thank you all for sharing yours.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »