Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Kongs

I have at some point bought both my dogs a kong which neither of them showed any interset in. However in a previous thread someone suggest peanut butter in them which i tried and omg an hour of absolute peace and harmony!!! However as this is a breakthrough for me i am not sure how much peanut butter i should put in or how often or what else i can use, any advice would be much appreciated
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi Kim some peanut butter contains a lot of salt so it is best to buy one with a low salt content and only use a tiny amount mixed with other things like mashed potato (I would say about a teaspoon for a large dog) or smear a little around the rim of the kong .

Sardines and mashed potato are good for filing a kong too (sardines in oil not brine) , dogs love it possibly because it has a strong smell . This can be frozen too to make it last longer .
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:48 PM
wot about putting a bonio in it its fairly difficult to push it in but hence keeps them quiet longer. other than that I have a rubber ball :
http://ebay.f3images.com/IMD/feeds/JP43222_50.jpg
and push markies in it will a tiny abmount of peanut butter or spread. I find it lasts longer than the kong and is cheaper to buy too
ATD x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Once they get going on them anything will go in, cream cheese (25p at Tesco), beef jerky (pound shop), bits of pigs ears (range) yoghurt around that lot and then frozen. If you feed any tinned meat that will go in and freeze as well. Pate is good.

Skys the limit really!

rune
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Agree with above, you can also get cheapo fish paste in jars in supermarkets.

If you want a cleaner option various sized biscuits rammed in and then the hole firmly plugged with a larger one!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Unfortnately Toby is on a plain diet at the moment, but as a very special occasional treat we used to get half a slice of bread, spread a very tiny amount of marmite on and then roll it up before stuffing it in his kong!

Peace and Quiet for hours!

p.s. I don't know if marmite is good for dogs? We only use a very tiny amount though and he does love it!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Stick to the peanut butter alone, and go easy with it. You could mix in some of his kibble. You want to be careful not to add too many calories of unbalance his diet. Mashed potatoes add calories and little else.

Freezing it makes if last longer. If you are giving very much, you may want to cut back a little on his kibble to prevent weight gain.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:54 AM
we stuff and freeze ours with allsorts, goats yoghurt, banana, biscuits with a small amount of peanut butter to keep the biscuits in place, low fat soft cheese or cottage cheese. Also if I've made a casserole or something they sometimes get that in there and freeze it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Stick to the peanut butter alone, and go easy with it. You could mix in some of his kibble. You want to be careful not to add too many calories of unbalance his diet. Mashed potatoes add calories and little else.

Freezing it makes if last longer. If you are giving very much, you may want to cut back a little on his kibble to prevent weight gain.
Labman unlike yourself not everyone feeds kibble , mashed up potato is a natural food and makes a good medium for adding things to put inside a kong. It isn't full of additives and bits of euthanized dead animals/waste fat from fryers/chemicals to give a long shelf life and all the other poor quality ingredients included in some kibbles produced in the USA which you seem to think is the best thing to feed pets .

Peanut butter is also full of calories
Calories in peanut butter..
smooth peanut butter has 555.5 calories per 100g
reduced sodium peanut butter has 632 calories per 100g
chunky peanut butter 589 calories per 100g

Calories in mashed potatoes 98 calories per 100 grams....

I hardly think someone like yourself who as you have stated so many times in previous posts thinks it is acceptable to underfeed puppies and deprive them of access to water (in order to prevent them from soiling in their crates when shut in for 16 hours a day ) is the best person to be advising anyone on how to feed and care for dogs.