View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I have to say the only real issue I had with these crosses is the amount that people pay for them, when they could more then likely get the same crosses in the rescue centre's that are over run with dogs for a lot cheaper, and possible save a life or two in the process, mind you that said I pair money for my dogs when the rescues are over run with them, mind you I only paid £80 for one and £120 for the other, which I'm sure that some poeple would say is too much money to pay for a cross lol.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I may be completely wrong here but effectively aren't all dogs crossbreeds of some description??

I've been reading a dog breeds book lately and a lot of the breeds listed in there say "[Insert breed name] was bred from X and Y to create a dog that was suitable for.......".

I think IMO that if you trace a breed's history back far enough it probably came about from crossbreeding its just back then it was done for a purpose other that "design".

I might be completely off the mark, thats just the way i perceived the book I was reading.
Your right, but in times gone by dogs were bred to perform certain tasks, and only dogs that were able to do what they were needed to do were kept and bred from, they also culled dogs to try and keep and produce good dogs, and the breeds of today were created (although I think most if not all have changed from when they were first created) but now it seems that someone has a pedigree dog, but thinks that they can make more money if they cross that dog with a different breed and call it a silly name (I do wonder if they get drunk before they start putting the names of the breeds involved in the cross to make them sound as silly as possible) and then they seem to be expecting more money for these crosses then a pedigree, or at least near the same price, which could be a gamble, I mean how are potential buyers going to know whether the parents are healthy dogs, or used in a cross because they failed health tests or haven't even been given them but the people selling puppies just wants some extra case.

Also whats going to happen to these dogs once some people decide not to have them, are they going to be like the Staffs and be a popular breed to be in rescue kennels, but I do hope that people see the dogs for dogs, no matter how crazy the cross seems, and not fall for the 'unique' dog that they brought which is now everywhere.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Your right, but in times gone by dogs were bred to perform certain tasks, and only dogs that were able to do what they were needed to do were kept and bred from, they also culled dogs to try and keep and produce good dogs, and the breeds of today were created (although I think most if not all have changed from when they were first created) but now it seems that someone has a pedigree dog, but thinks that they can make more money if they cross that dog with a different breed and call it a silly name (I do wonder if they get drunk before they start putting the names of the breeds involved in the cross to make them sound as silly as possible) and then they seem to be expecting more money for these crosses then a pedigree, or at least near the same price, which could be a gamble, I mean how are potential buyers going to know whether the parents are healthy dogs, or used in a cross because they failed health tests or haven't even been given them but the people selling puppies just wants some extra case.

Also whats going to happen to these dogs once some people decide not to have them, are they going to be like the Staffs and be a popular breed to be in rescue kennels, but I do hope that people see the dogs for dogs, no matter how crazy the cross seems, and not fall for the 'unique' dog that they brought which is now everywhere.
I agree that the money asked for these cross breeds is extreme but I bet if you could look into the future then these breeds will be recognised by the KC in years to come as they will become the norm if you like. And then people will just start trying to breed other dogs together to create "new" breeds. It will never end as long as people are buying these dogs.

I personally have no objection to crossbreed dogs but i do thing the costing it excessive.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I have no problem with cross breeds, but these cross breeds are not being bred to a standard, so I don't know if they will become recognised by the KC, they may become a dog that becomes the norm in many households, but they may always be crosses, which I see no problem, just so long as people treat them as such and not over charge or over breed them.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm more worried about how some of these ''matings'' occur. We were wondering today about how one of our work colleague's Lhasa Apso (entire) would get on with a choccie lab who's in season. Although Lhasador has a lovely ring to it!!
i know someone with a Shih tzu x lab. will try to get a pic. he's like a hairy lab on little legs. her son has a shih tzu x rottie too. that one's a rescue btw.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Both my crosses cost me nowt, my lovely sprollie and dalmador.

Bint here is a not so nice (but not the nastiest either) derogatory name for someone. It can be used in humour, but you'd have to know the person pretty well if you didn't want a smack in the gob. Bit worse than calling someone an idiot but not as bad as a full blown swear word I guess. Never knew it meant an old lady too, you'd get a shock round here if you called an old lady a bint.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:27 PM
This is Freddie who looks like a Springador from some angles and a GSP from others. Personally I think he has the build of a Lab. He is the perfect dog as he has the endless energy of a Springer when doing his "work" and the laid back, temperament of a Lab at home. He lives to "work" and is easily the most energetic of all of my gundogs as he is utterly driven. He eats anything and only needs very, very small portions, rather like a Lab. He was free as he was a stray from Ireland.

chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Freddie is gorgeous.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Looks like a Sprointer to me
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi,

So my Ellie who i s a GSD x Akita is a German Akita? Or Japanese Shepherd? Or a Germita? or a Japshep? etc etc etc

Laura xx
Page 5 of 30 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »