Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I just read that it can potentially takes up to 6 months for the ears to heal in some cases. 6 months of annoyance and pain for the dog to satisfy the owners cruel need for "beauty".
Totally in agreement with you Labradork. I just can't see how it can be justified. Even if you like the look of cropped ears, is it really worth it?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:19 PM
My OH is mad on dobes and really wants one, having looked at both types and based JUST on the look (not taking into account the pain and legal aspects) i prefer the natural look. I just don't like the look of a cropped ear it makes the dog look silly and unfinished IMHO. I just don't think it adds anything to the look of the dog at all.

When we get a dobe it will be as nature intened . . .
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:26 PM
As far as I am aware, unlike tail docking, ear cropping is purely for cosmetic reasons. Supporters have often said it also helps prevent ear mites and infections but I've certainly never seen anything evidence wise. I have to be honest, i do think some dogs can look magnificent with cropped ears but personally, it's not something I can justify being done to my dogs.
One of the saddest rescues I ever took on which I am sure I have posted on here about in the past was a 4 year old dobe whose owners had decided to try and crop its ears. Bearing in mind it would normally only be done at a few weeks old when the ears are soft. They had done it themselves with a pair of kitchen scissors and glued them with household super glue and no more nails and propped them with chopsticks and lolly sticks.
It was absolutely horriffice, the dog was in agony and despite the vets best efforts he is totally deaf in one ear. Thankfully he went on to lead a happy and loved life.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:36 PM
On a completely side note, has anyone actually got any information about when it was banned in England? I can't seem to find anything...
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Dogs don't need this sort of tampering just because someone thinks it "looks magnificant".
Just leave the poor beggars how they were meant to be.

It is abusive and I get the feeling some of the pro-cropping people on here are enjoying being so blasé about it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:43 PM
niffty or what

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
niffty or what

I have to confess to really liking the look. But I could never ever put a dog through that kind of surgery (or buy one from a breeder who had already done so) purely to satisfy my own tastes on looks.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I have to confess to really liking the look. But I could never ever put a dog through that kind of surgery (or buy one from a breeder who had already done so) purely to satisfy my own tastes on looks.
I know what you mean, I guess its easy for me to like the look, but to put a dog through that is where I would draw the line,

but I still think it looks well niffty

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I know what you mean, I guess its easy for me to like the look, but to put a dog through that is where I would draw the line,

but I still think it looks well niffty

I think it looks horrible. So unnatural; poor dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 01:16 PM
niffty or what

Absolutly stunning!!!

How about this one:

http://tera-zena.ru/img/IMG_2462-web.jpg

and this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jZHHRfnq9F...t+Dane+dog.jpg
Page 6 of 26 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »