View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok, I don't understand why this is getting so heated. I don't believe anyone has hailed this woman as some sort of hero, it wouldn't bother me if it was saddam flippin hussein who brought these problems to the public eye, I'm just glad someone has, whatever their reasons for doing so. I don't give a hoot who or what she is I just hope that all this publicity will benefit the dogs - that is all I care about and all any real dog lover should care about. If it upsets some breeders - so what, again I state there ARE problems with some breeds and at at least some of the blame has to lie with breeders, professional and pet. As shown in the program a CKCS that was a successful show dog (and therefore not a BYB dog) was known to have the problem and yet they carried on breeding. Yes this is only one person but for the problems to be as widespread as they are it can't only be her that is doing it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I noticed a lot of dogs on their own too, Shaza. Loads of them.

Also heard several tannoy announcements for folk to return to their dogs, including a call for a Basneji who was on it's own and was very distressed. It made me feel really angry and sad.

I think, first we need to get this in prospective, out of 28'000 dogs a handful may have got a bit stressed,

then think, why would this dog be stressed,

Members of the public could have wound the dog up {do we ban the GP from crufts?}

Poss an owner had more than one dog there, she may have taken the other dog for the toilet, hence the one left behind had a bit of a play up?
It could be a young dog, its first time ever at crufts,
the list is endless.

Benching dogs is not ideal, most show folk would rather not bench there dogs, but its a requirement,
Young dogs need time to get used to benching, just as young dogs in the home may play up if you leave them behind a stair gate to go to the loo, {how many pup owners on here can say hand on heart, my pup has never had a hissy being left in a room for five mins?}
I think pidge had a spell of this with woody? sorry for using you as an example hun,

Show dogs are no diff from pet dogs, some will play up a bit, some will not,
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
INCOGNITO.........

Considering the term Incognito was Jemima's own!! , and her being a journalist, I am sure she wrote exactly what she meant...
I think in her case, being there NOT as Jemima Harrison is incognito.
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
How does this woman manage to work and take her dogs out every day for 20 miles on Salisbury plain?
????? Maybe she works from home????
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Absolutely. The dogs may look bored crashed our on their benches, but it's what they are trained to do. They get to the show they chill out. I did see one or two dogs that seemed stressed in the ring, but that's lierally one or two out of the thousands I watched. And there will always be the minority that put themselves before their dogs, hence the bad breeders that the programme was about.
Couldn't agree more with the last part, although in some breeds I don't agree it is a minority of people that breed badly. Not for the problems to be so rife...

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id hope nobody was so naive as to believe that Ailsa.
Believe what?
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
?

Jeez I may be green, but I'm not a cabbage. Me bitter nope & neither is Joedee, who at this time is laid upside now snoring across my feet-Joedee is well aware that there are health problems in all dogs not just pedigree dogs registered with the KC as he is a Cavalier & has symptomatic SM(Although that program has sparked 1,000s of adverts from puppy farmers/pet breeders/BYB proudly stating the pedigree dogs they breed are healthy & unaffected because they are NOT KC registered as only KC registered dogs are unhealthy)

JH isn't on main stream TV as a presenter, because obviously no company has considered her talented enough to employ as such.

Methinks that it is you who has the problem, with some breeds & their breeders. Maybe you should train your KC registered Flatcoats as your profile states you haven't yet, maybe that's why you have the problem-my dogs(including the very unhealthy Cavaliers & riddled & crippled with genetic disorders BCs)are trained !

BTW all my BCs are fully DNA tested & halfway through their clinical testing
Perhaps Jemima doesn't want to be a presenter?
So you are more than aware of health problems in some breeds then? Do you think that needs addressing?
My profile doesn't say I have a Flat Coat anymore. I don't yet have Flat Coats
My dogs are VERY well trained...just don't feel the need to have it on my profile. I am flattered that you are interested enough in me to go and have a look though.

As I say...you seem to be very hot under the collar over all of this, possibly because of your GSD background and the cavs you own now. Fair enough. Shouldn't that make you more concerned for their health and welfare though?
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
Ok, I don't understand why this is getting so heated. I don't believe anyone has hailed this woman as some sort of hero, it wouldn't bother me if it was saddam flippin hussein who brought these problems to the public eye, I'm just glad someone has, whatever their reasons for doing so. I don't give a hoot who or what she is I just hope that all this publicity will benefit the dogs - that is all I care about and all any real dog lover should care about. If it upsets some breeders - so what, again I state there ARE problems with some breeds and at at least some of the blame has to lie with breeders, professional and pet. As shown in the program a CKCS that was a successful show dog (and therefore not a BYB dog) was known to have the problem and yet they carried on breeding. Yes this is only one person but for the problems to be as widespread as they are it can't only be her that is doing it.
Exactly.Yet again excellent post, couldn't agree more.
Jemima had heaps more footage highlighting other problems, far too much for an hour long programme...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
As shown in the program a CKCS that was a successful show dog (and therefore not a BYB dog) was known to have the problem and yet they carried on breeding.
But the bitch with the symptomatic SM was not related to the Stud dog shown(this wasn't mentioned of course)& it wasn't even KC registered(with should have meant by JH's logic that it shouldn't have SM)

I do not condone anyone breeding from a dog that ahs the malformation or SM or the sibling, mother father of same. I have a Cavalier bred by a member of this forum(& it is most certainly not Inca)who has SM(he has been scanned)his brother was retained by the breeder & then sold to be shown & used as a stud dog(after their father had been PTS with SM). In fact the member of this forum has actually used him at stud, knowing that he is at best a carrier of SM as his brother has SM & his father was PTS because of his SM symptoms. I doubt very much the purchasers of the puppies were told anything of the history of the stud dog & his relatives.

JH appears to beieve that she has brought about changes all for the good of dogs-well in fact i's just the opposite-the GP are now going to breeders who do not KC register their dogs & who claim their dogs are healthy & free from any genetic condition-whilst not doing the testing required to check on the unseen conditions that can & do exist. the vets then see these pedigree dogs as patients & of course, if they are ill, the KC are blamed when in fact it is down to the breeder.

I was told by the PDSA that they withdrew because of the number of pedigree dogs being seen in their surgeries with genetic defects. The one thing they do not check is whether or not the dogs parents &/or the dog are KC registered-they presume that all pedigree dogs they see are KC registered-which is far from the truth
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
My profile doesn't say I have a Flat Coat anymore. I don't yet have Flat Coats
My dogs are VERY well trained...just don't feel the need to have it on my profile. I am flattered that you are interested enough in me to go and have a look though.
Went to Crufts today. It was fab.
We got there for 9ish and went straight to the Flat Coats where we met up with Cosmo's breeder then saw his sister We got there for 9ish and went straight to the Flat Coats where we met up with Cosmo's breeder then saw his sister get 5th in her class and then his brother get first in his, giving him his final point for his junior warrant.

Cosmo is very happy!!! Although he is currently squeaking one of his new airkong tennis balls and singing along with it, so don't know how long he'll have it this evening!!!!
Now you do have me confused you don't have a FCR, but saw his breeder, relatives in the FCR ring & took him toys home ?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:23 AM
But the bitch with the symptomatic SM was not related to the Stud dog shown(this wasn't mentioned of course)& it wasn't even KC registered(with should have meant by JH's logic that it shouldn't have SM)
It had no relevance though. The fact is the prizewinning dog was being used at stud and was passing the condition on...and winning a show as a great example of the breed. How is that right? It doesn't matter if he wasn't related to the dog that had SM in the programme, the dog with SM was used to show what SM is and how it effects the dogs with it...
I do not condone anyone breeding from a dog that ahs the malformation or SM or the sibling, mother father of same. I have a Cavalier bred by a member of this forum(& it is most certainly not Inca)who has SM(he has been scanned)his brother was retained by the breeder & then sold to be shown & used as a stud dog(after their father had been PTS with SM). In fact the member of this forum has actually used him at stud, knowing that he is at best a carrier of SM as his brother has SM & his father was PTS because of his SM symptoms. I doubt very much the purchasers of the puppies were told anything of the history of the stud dog & his relatives.
So...you aren't that different from Jemima then? She doesn't approve of things like that either and that is what she was highlighting.
JH appears to beieve that she has brought about changes all for the good of dogs-well in fact i's just the opposite-the GP are now going to breeders who do not KC register their dogs & who claim their dogs are healthy & free from any genetic condition-whilst not doing the testing required to check on the unseen conditions that can & do exist. the vets then see these pedigree dogs as patients & of course, if they are ill, the KC are blamed when in fact it is down to the breeder.
I disagree totally. In my breed there seems to be (from what people have said) an increase in puppy enquiries from the decent breeders. Where do you get your statistics from that more people are going to byb or puppy farmers? From talking to people when out with the dogs, I think people are far more aware of health problems and the need for health checks and they are sourcing puppies more carefully. I would love to see your statistics though...for the increase in sales from puppy farmers and byb...I didn't think such statistics were kept. Please could you direct me to them?
I was told by the PDSA that they withdrew because of the number of pedigree dogs being seen in their surgeries with genetic defects. The one thing they do not check is whether or not the dogs parents &/or the dog are KC registered-they presume that all pedigree dogs they see are KC registered-which is far from the truth
What is your point here? That all KC registered dogs are healthy???? They aren't though are they?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Now you do have me confused you don't have a FCR, but saw his breeder, relatives in the FCR ring & took him toys home ?
I have A Flat Coat.My profile USED to say exactly what I owned it doesn't anymore.
You assumed I had more than one.

It is flattering that you feel the need to go over other threads and quote from them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think, first we need to get this in prospective, out of 28'000 dogs a handful may have got a bit stressed,

then think, why would this dog be stressed,

Members of the public could have wound the dog up {do we ban the GP from crufts?}

Poss an owner had more than one dog there, she may have taken the other dog for the toilet, hence the one left behind had a bit of a play up?
It could be a young dog, its first time ever at crufts,
the list is endless.

Benching dogs is not ideal, most show folk would rather not bench there dogs, but its a requirement,
Young dogs need time to get used to benching, just as young dogs in the home may play up if you leave them behind a stair gate to go to the loo, {how many pup owners on here can say hand on heart, my pup has never had a hissy being left in a room for five mins?}
I think pidge had a spell of this with woody? sorry for using you as an example hun,

Show dogs are no diff from pet dogs, some will play up a bit, some will not,
Brill post, 100% spot on!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by

Jemima [B
had heaps more footage highlighting other problems, far too much for an hour long programme[/B]...

How do you know this??

And me, thought Cosmo was your dog?

And considering the health problems in the breed (cancer ) being a major one.. I am surprised you , condemn others , when your own breed has a very poor longevity,
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Brill post, 100% spot on!!!!!!!

How do you know this??

And me, thought Cosmo was your dog?

And considering the health problems in the breed (cancer ) being a major one.. I am surprised you , condemn others , when your own breed has a very poor longevity,
How do I know she had more footage?
I just do.
Cosmo is my dog and I explained that in my last post on here.
Yes cancer is very prevalent in my breed which is why there has been research going on for many years.
It is also something that good breeders are very aware of, but cancer, isn't always genetic,there are environmental factors too.

I do not 'have it in' for some breeds... I DO care about the health and welfare of ALL dogs though.
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK;1626024]But the bitch with the symptomatic SM was not related to the Stud dog shown(this wasn't mentioned of course)& it wasn't even KC registered(with should have meant by JH's logic that it shouldn't have SM) [/QUOTE

So what? It doesn't matter which dog they showed with SM, the fact is there are KC reg dogs with SM - I have seen many of them with my own eyes unfortunately.

I don't believe there is or will be a huge rush for non KC reg dogs just because people believe them to be healthier. The problem is known to be related to the breed not KC registration. There will always been idiots in the GP who don't do any research before buying a pup and just look for the easiest and quickest route to getting one i.e. BYB and puppy farms.
Page 7 of 28 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »