Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Reverse Sneezing

Zena had an attack of this whilst out this morning and it frightened the c*ap out of me

Just done some more research into it, and came across this fantastic video put up by a vet, who explained that they don't actually know the cause, but a trigger sets it off, but it's nothing to worry about (apparently!). Christ, I know I'm a worrier, but this really scares me - afterall, it's very important that your dog can breath!!!

Interesting video, this is just what Zena did with me this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

For those that have never experienced it, it's well worth a watch for future panic attacks from concerned owners I think! My previous dog had one once and I rushed her down to the vets, only to be told it was this.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Pickles used to do this all the time and my Sisters Bichon does it too, I always thought it was related to a heart murmur for some reason?

It's very bizarre that's for sure!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Our old pointer did it. Quite scary the first time I witnessed it!

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Although I've witnessed it before, and many a time with Zena, this morning's was quite worrying, hence my Googling!

Apparently, it's not caused by anything serious, this is some information I found on it:
QUOTE ""Paroxysmal Respiration" - the official veterinary term for reverse sneezing - is caused by a spasm of the dog's soft palate. (The soft palate is the soft tissue in back of the roof of the mouth, behind the hard palate.) Reverse sneezing looks and sounds very much like the dog is trying to inhale a sneeze. The dog acts and breathes normally before and after an episode, with no after effects.

Reverse sneezing is sometimes caused by mild irritation to the nasal or laryngeal area. It can sometimes be triggered by rapid eating or drinking, by running or pulling on a leash, by being excited or frightened. In some cases there is no obvious reason for it. Although dogs of any size and any breed can experience reverse sneezing, it's more common in small dogs. Brachycephalic breeds like Bulldogs, Boxers, Pugs, Boston Terriers, Shih Tzus and other short-faced breeds are also more prone to this condition. Some dogs will have occasional episodes, perhaps a few times a week or a few times a month. Others may have only a few isolated bouts of reverse sneezing during their entire life." unquote
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Tia does it ., scared the life out of me when i first saw it ..
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Lodger still does this occasionally. Used to do it a lot more.

1st trigger was fairly soon after I got him when it was clear we were going out and he wasn't - guessing it usually got him a lot of fuss.

Had the boss inform me on a fair few occasions to begin with that my dog was about to be sick.

Managed a spectacular attack last winter where someone had a wood burning stove going. First starting making himself sneeze which triggered a full on reverse sneezing episode. Had to take him home.

1st Bonfire set him going a little - but controlled - just stuck him inside out of the way so he could stop stressing about my pyromaniacal tendencies..

More or less stopped doing it now - though eating something particularly delicious with a strong smell in front of him while you're standing up sometimes gets him trying an experimental wheeze.

So that covers all causes - irritation of the whatsit, stress & excitement - though I'd throw a minor learned attention seeking in there.

Edit: And no heart murmur - had his boosters yesterday and when he stopped quaking like a jelly the Vet pronounced him very fit.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Crickey, you seem to be well used to it with Lodger there Sosha, and yes, it certainly covers all causes there!

The reason I got so concerned this morning, is it went on a bit too long for my liking, intermittent as we made our way back to the car, you feel so helpful, although I tried rubbing her throat. I suspect mine was an irritant, as I had stood there chatting to a lady with two dogs, and Zena had her nose poked into some soft, weedy, grass with lots of little flowers in there, and it came on immediately, so I'm sure that triggered it. My big worry with her is, the vet suspected megaesophagus a couple of months back, and although the sickness/regurgitation has now stopped completely, I'm paranoid now about the other side of that which is asphyxia (sp?) which is what the vet was explaining to me, but hopefully, this wasn't it this morning, this was purely reverse sneezing going on that video.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Frankie does it about once a week usually when excited.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Is she carrying any extra weight?
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I was told this is what Shila does by the vets for 2 years

I even videoed what she did and i was still told reverse sneezing, i changed my vets when she back incredibly ill with it last year n it turns out its severe allergies

She's never done the above thing
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >