Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Pyometra

Hi guys, on my phone - so I apologise if any spelling mistakes occur. Autocorrect!

I have been reading the book of the bitch, and researching why Bella is in heat for so long. A quick summary;
She swells from day one.
She bleeds throughout. Though its only very light. Some days we have no blood, then it continues.
She usually bleeds lightly for about 21 days.
I have rang our vet and they said its nothing to worry about.

I have no come across pyometra, and really worried, but struggling to find out more. Has anyone had this? I'm worried Bella bleeding for so long through her season is linked to it?
I am a complete worrier, so probably panicking for no reason, but just wanted to check it with you all?

Let me know if you need anymore info from me xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Perfectly normal for some bitches to bleed throughout their season. 21 days is also normal. Some bitches are in season longer. I agree with your Vet.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Mine are in season longer than that as they don't ovulate till around day 19, and they often bleed right the way through. You have to remember when reading about stuff in books, your dog hasn't read the book, so has no idea what it is supposed to be doing and that they are doing it wrong!!!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2013, 05:20 PM
All of the above!
Bitches seasons vary but can be 28 days, sometimes if the bleeding is thought to be light it can be that the bitch is fastidious in her cleaning. Other bitches can bleed heavily. Hormonally wise it's rare for bitches to have a pyo at the same time as a season (according to my vet), it the weeks afterwards that you need to look out for it and the first sign is excessive drinking, the bitch may or may not be off colour and may or may not (depending on closed or open pyo) have a discharge.
Just be vigilant because this is a condition that can get very serious very quickly.
kjm
New Member!
Male 

07-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi- My spaniel bitch had the same problem I finally took her to the Royal Vet College where they diagnosed pyometra and had to operate immediately. This was 3 months ago and she is now fine.I suggest you have your dog looked at if only to put your mind at rest.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree with twix, mine had her pyo a few weeks AFTER her season.. she was a bit bloated, had a smelly discharge and drank enormous amounts of water.... just keep an eye on her as it can be fatal.. ( lost my poor girl just after her operation as her organs were all poisoned )
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
Hi guys, on my phone - so I apologise if any spelling mistakes occur. Autocorrect!

I have been reading the book of the bitch, and researching why Bella is in heat for so long. A quick summary;
She swells from day one.
She bleeds throughout. Though its only very light. Some days we have no blood, then it continues.

I have no come across pyometra, and really worried, but struggling to find out more. Has anyone had this? I'm worried Bella bleeding for so long through her season is linked to it?
I am a complete worrier, so probably panicking for no reason, but just wanted to check it with you all?

Let me know if you need anymore info from me xx
Hi Pyometra is heralded by a yucky discharge,one of mylate fathers greyhound had it, I was only a girl, but know that this greyhound had phantom pregnancies, so her cycle was interrupted,So please dont worry and if your vet has said the same,I would be thankful that your vet is honest,and doesnt want to just make money.Keep a diary and you will get to know her cycle crystalgirl
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi Carla
She swells from day one.
as the others say the length of a season and the amount of bleeding can vary greatly from bitch to bitch and is not really something I would be concerned about.

A word about pyometra...
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Pyometra is heralded by a yucky discharge,
Not necessarily , if you have a 'closed' pyometra there may be no discharge at all .

I have lost two bitches with pyo and almost a third.
One on the bitches I lost Tilly had no discharge but she had been in season a few weeks previously and seemed a bit off colour/ not that interested in food/ drinking more than usual/slight temperature. She was operated on but died during the operation.

Pyometra usually occurs a few weeks following a season .
I think this is a good brief description.

Pyometra is a result of hormonal and structural changes in the uterus lining. This can happen at any age, whether she has bred or not, and whether it is her 1st or 10th heat (although it becomes more common as the dog gets older). The main risk period for a female is for eight weeks after her peak standing heat (or estrous cycle) has ended.[1] Normally during this period, the cervix, which was open during her heat, begins to close, and the inner lining begins to adapt back to normal. However, cystic hyperplasia of the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus) – known as cystic endometrial hyperplasia (CEH) – may occur at this time for some animals, as an inappropriate response to progesterone.
Under these circumstances, bacteria (especially E. coli) that have migrated from the vagina into the uterus find the environment favorable to growth, especially since progesterone also causes mucus secretion, closes the cervix (preventing uterine drainage), and decreases uterine contractility.[2] The condition of the cervix is a major factor in the severity of the condition.
If the cervix is open, the infected material can leave the body, and this is far easier and safer to treat. This is known as open pyometra.
If the cervix is fully closed, there is no discharge from the vulva, and like in appendicitis, the uterus may rupture and pus escapes into the abdomen, causing peritonitis and possible rapid death. This is known as closed pyometra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra
I now have my bitched spayed, if I had an unspayed bitch I would be watching her closely following a season for any symptoms of pyometra...
.. any virginal discharge/reluctance to eat/ drinking more/ panting/ increased urination/vomiting/just being off colour.
If caught quickly open pyometra is treatable with antibiotics.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Pyometra is heralded by a yucky discharge,one of mylate fathers greyhound had it, I was only a girl, but know that this greyhound had phantom pregnancies, so her cycle was interrupted,So please dont worry and if your vet has said the same,I would be thankful that your vet is honest,and doesnt want to just make money.Keep a diary and you will get to know her cycle crystalgirl
Not always, it depends on the type of pyometra the bitch has, and not all bitches will show the same symtoms.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

Pyometra usually occurs a few weeks following a season .
I think this is a good brief description.
And...(as I am sure you know already ) it can occur after giving birth also ....aroudn the same time scale, although my friends bitch died of it, after around 14/16/ weeks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >