Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Do you feed bones, raw or cooked? Confused

I have been looking around the net as well as forums here. It really is starting to get confusing.

Lots of people stating that bones are bad for your dog. Especially if they splinter up.

BARF sites ( I only visited a few) promote marrow bones.

Not cooked.

Somebody Please set the record straight.

Can I feed marrow bones (or any other for that matter) to my Lab? Or should I not?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Cooked bones can splinter so are the ones not to use. I feed raw anyway and my 2 eat all sorts of bones.
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
How old are they? Did they ever break teeth on bones?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Two and a half, I don't think I have ever had a dog break its teeth on bones. When they get older they lose the odd tooth anyway. My old dog had a couple of teeth missing by the time she died aged about 12, but would never not give my dogs bones, they have one every lunchtime with either a carrot or a banana.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Bones should NEVER be cooked before feeding, UNLESS they are the flavoured knuckle bones that they just gnaw away at for recreation.

Bones are fine Raw, but when cooked they can splinter causing all kinds of dangers, ruptured gut/intestines/throat/osophageus (sp)! but you also have to make sure the ratio to meat is correct also and not feed too much bone with nothing else.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I give raw bones but I dont give marrowbones as they are much harder and can wear down and even break dogs teeth
I give all chicken bones, most lamb and pork bones (not big load bearing bones like legs knuckle bones are fine if you take them away when they get to the tough bits)but v little beef bones (oxtail and some rib bones)
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-07-2008, 07:56 AM
What about parasites? When you feed the bones raw isnt that a risk?
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2008, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Malady;1421625]Bones should NEVER be cooked before feeding, UNLESS they are the flavoured knuckle bones that they just gnaw away at for recreation.
QUOTE]

I am just a bit confused. I know not to ever give cooked bones and I get Sydney a bone from the butchers every week or so.
BUT what are those bones that they sell in pet shops - they are cooked - are those the flavoured knuckle bones that you mean Malady ??
What are anyone's views on those bones in the pet shops that they sell - are they OK or do they have things added to give them flavour ??
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
all the raw I feed has been frozen so that kills off any parasites. Personally I have never had any problems with parasites anyway, I follow a regular worming programme and my dogs have a garlic tablet everyday.
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Good idea...Do you leave any meat on the bone? Or is it plain bone?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >