Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mindy1984
New Member!
Female 

05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Choosing male or female bichon frise

Hi,

I am hoping someone can advise me about whether to choose a male or female Bichon Frise. We were planning on buying a male but were informed that sometimes they can wee in the house to 'mark' territory, especially if there is another male. My mother-in-law has always had male dogs, hence why we wanted a male, but I am now a little concerned that our puppy will spend time with their dog, so would it be better to get a female and spay her? My mother-in-laws dog is neutered.

Any ideas would b e great, in a way I don't mind if it is a boy or a girl, but I do want both the male dog and the puppy to get along.

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
You wil have a lot of housetraining to plough through before you get to the `marking` stage.
I wouldn`t worry about it - none of my male dogs have marked - well, only the entire one a couple of times, and I disinfected that area and he never did it again.
Provided your dog is neutered or spayed, gender doesn`t make that much difference. It`s only an issue occasionally with entire dogs or bitches.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I have never had a male dog mark in the house, although I can only speak for spaniels and collie x,s
My sister has a great little rescued male bichon and he's never marked indoors either.
mindy1984
New Member!
Female 

05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Thank you for your replies, I just wanted to make sure I researched enough to make an informed decision.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 08:57 PM
my aunt had a BC who marked the house insanely when my old boy sam went in, but none of the other dogs in the family ever have.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2010, 08:34 AM
None of my dogs have ever marked, and they have both been used at stud, and live with 2 entire bitches