Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Our first companion show.......

Me and Minnie have only attended a fun dog show before, this was earlier in the year. I did want to take her to others but they were cancelled due to the weather. Theres a companion show next monday bank holiday at Shareshill village hall. (www.k9-online.com/show) The fun dog show was really light hearted, so im wondering how the companion dog show will be? Ive looked on the website and it seems quite serious looking at the pictures?! The dogs look like they have to be positioned correctly etc etc.

Im also worried about Minnies temprement. At the fun show she wouldnt let the judges touch her, backing away whe the lady put her hand out, but she accepted a treat. She now barks when someone tries to touch her that she doesnt know, especially men. Although sometimes she seems to like certain people and she will go up to them? How should i handle this at the show? Should i explain to the judge she doesnt like being touched?

Can anyone whos been to a companion show let me know what im getting myself in for? lol
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 10:51 AM
If she doesn't like being touched then either train her to accept it (worthwhile as will simplify and destress vet visits) or only go in classes where the judge doesn't touch the dogs - most novelty classes are like this however in some the judge will want to touch the dog - I would withdraw from the class if this was the case as it won't give a good impression.

Why not start working on other people handling her - start with people you know and then move onto people she is less familiar with - dog club is a good place for this type of training.
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
If she doesn't like being touched then either train her to accept it (worthwhile as will simplify and destress vet visits) or only go in classes where the judge doesn't touch the dogs - most novelty classes are like this however in some the judge will want to touch the dog - I would withdraw from the class if this was the case as it won't give a good impression.

Why not start working on other people handling her - start with people you know and then move onto people she is less familiar with - dog club is a good place for this type of training.
Thats the thing, shes fine if im holding her and shes ok at the vets on the table. I think its because she is so small and people leaning over her doesnt help.

Shes recently passed her bronze KC award so we have been taking her to training classes
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping to go to Shareshill on Bank holiday Monday as it has a class for disabled handlers or dogs. I'll look out for you if you like. A lot of the classes are for fun & in the novelty classes they will understand if you say your dog is nervous of being touched by strangers. The novelty judge is a women too so thats a start.