View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FluffyOldThing
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Old English Sheepdog Puppy Help !(diarrhea)

We got George about a week ago and since being at home, he has had very bad diarrhea about 7 times a day.

We have change his diet to chicken breast and rice to cut out any issue with pet food (he was on IAMS puppy food) but it is still happening.

He had his worming tablet last Monday 15th Jan and had his injection a the same time. The vet said that he was a healthy pup and for us to keep an eye on his condition. I've looked on the interned and have found several possible causes, but I'm to vet and so would not have a clue what these are.

George is about 12 weeks old and quite a lively chap, but I am rather worried about his condition.

Can anyone help or give me some advice, because I'm taing him him to the vets tomorrow, but would like to help him before this and through the night if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi FluffyOldThing and welcome to Dogsey my guess is your puppy is suffering a reaction to the change in food / water/ new surroundings. It is good that you are going to the vets tomorrow because your puppy could quickly become dehydrated.

You don't say what colour the diarrhea is,I am assuming it does not contain blood or smells particularly bad.

For now give starch in the form of boiled white rice with white fish or a tiny bit of chicken, give only tiny amounts at a time like two tablespoons every couple of hours.

Porridge oats is good too made with water not milk.
Also give small amounts of honey and boiled water, you can use the water from the rice which also contains starch.

I hope your puppy is better soon .
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi

'Worming' can bring this on but it's been a week so I'd be inclined to agree with Minihaha and say it's diet related. For now the most important thing is to make sure George is drinking water !

Hope the trip to the vets goes OK

Phil
FluffyOldThing
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello again,

thanks for your quick replies.

The diarrhea has contained some blood and it is also very runny, to the point where it is almost like water.

I don't know if that information helps, but at the moment, I jut want to try to make him as comfortable as I can. He had rice and chicken again for dinner today and he will have it again for his tea, but I don't think it has made much difference.

Thanks again for your help.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi FluffyOldThing poor little George, as you say he is lively it sounds more like gastritis than infection but it is important he sees a vet on Monday. You dont say how many meals he is on at the moment, (at 12 weeks it should be 3) but for now I would keep giving the tiny frequent amounts of food and drink as previously suggested.

Also keep him warm, a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket may be appreciated.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2007, 04:05 PM
hello and welcome to Dogsey!!!
George is probably still feeling unsettled about his change in environment and diet.
As others have said make sure he drinks lots of water.
Mention it to the vet tomorrow. Has he been sick?

What wormer was used? Could be he has giardia which is only cleared up with a specific wormer and I'm sorry I can't remember which one. If it is his litter mates may have it as well...have you been in touch with the breeder?
FluffyOldThing
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Minihaha,

thanks for your help and quick replies.

George is having 2 meals a day now (we reduced it from 3 as we were told to keep him off food for 12 hours).

He also yaps a lot at night - I don't know if this is the illness, or if it is just him being a puppy.

Thanks again.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi my boy had a inflamed bowel when he was a pup which he had diarrhea + blood + mucus the vet gave him some antibotics + he was fine however not saying this is what your pup has but its a possablity anyway take him back to the vets get them to give him a good look over + make sure he gets plenty of water good luck

as for yapping its proberbly cause hes a pupp + new place missing you or it could be because of his problem if your not sure mention to the vet as well just in case
FluffyOldThing
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi All,

thanks for all your tips and advice. Being a newbie to owning a dog, it's nice to know that help is out there from people when the vets is closed.

Thanks again. I'll post how George gets on tomorrow.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Hello FluffyOldThing,Welcome to Dogsey mate.Any news on George?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >