Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Pet passport?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a pet passport. Been told today that we're going to Germany in 3 months.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:22 AM
think it takes about 30 days. but check on their laws of bringing the dog back into the country. i know spain is 6 months notice before bringing the dog back.

look on defras website it tells you all the details you need for pet passport. its called the PETS scheme.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I managed to find some info, just not how long it takes to come through. Rupe won't be able to come back into the country for 6 months but we're going to be there for at least a year so that shouldn't be a problem. This is really unexpected, we were told there was little to no chance of a German posting yet off to Germany we go.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Yeah, I managed to find some info, just not how long it takes to come through. Rupe won't be able to come back into the country for 6 months but we're going to be there for at least a year so that shouldn't be a problem. This is really unexpected, we were told there was little to no chance of a German posting yet off to Germany we go.
phone the vets, they will tell you. i know they have to be up to date on vaccinations and some countries they need rabies, then wormed and flead 48 hours before they go. so phone the vets and see what they say.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:04 PM
If it's three months you have plenty of time as to take a dog/cat abroad to an EU country all they have to have is a Pet Passport(which defra supply to vets for free BTW)with his id details & a Rabies vaccination information for a vaccination ate at least 30 days before the date of entry & not more than 12 months. If you are going to live on a UK forces base That is the same as being in the UK(as far as I am aware)& therefore you don't have to license your dog under the Germany law.

As long as your PP is still vaild when you return than you can bring him straight home. It does have to 6 months minimum after the positive titre test(which is the date the vet took the bloods-I think)

This might help
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for that He's already microchipped and up to date on all vaccinations except rabies, he's never had a rabies vaccination as we've only lived in the UK. I'll contact the vet this afternoon and see what we need to do to get a passport. I'll ask about licensing. He's got to be licensed here in Northern Ireland so I'm assuming he will in Germany but my main concern at the moment is getting him out there. It's a hell of a journey from Ireland.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that He's already microchipped and up to date on all vaccinations except rabies, he's never had a rabies vaccination as we've only lived in the UK. I'll contact the vet this afternoon and see what we need to do to get a passport. I'll ask about licensing. He's got to be licensed here in Northern Ireland so I'm assuming he will in Germany but my main concern at the moment is getting him out there. It's a hell of a journey from Ireland.
We did Germany to N.I so know how you feel. You have plenty time to do the passport so don't worry. When you get to Germany you will need to register with the SSO on camp and that's it. You will also need to get 3rd party insurance as it is law there and show it to the SSO when you register. Which part of Germany are you going to?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
We did Germany to N.I so know how you feel. You have plenty time to do the passport so don't worry. When you get to Germany you will need to register with the SSO on camp and that's it. You will also need to get 3rd party insurance as it is law there and show it to the SSO when you register. Which part of Germany are you going to?
Ah, wasn't aware of the 3rd party insurance, thanks for the heads up. We're off to Fallingbostel apparently.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Ah, wasn't aware of the 3rd party insurance, thanks for the heads up. We're off to Fallingbostel apparently.
Yes thought I should mention it just incase you didn't know. Ahh Fally is not far from where we were as we were in Hohne. Hope you enjoy it over there, I did
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
Yes thought I should mention it just incase you didn't know. Ahh Fally is not far from where we were as we were in Hohne. Hope you enjoy it over there, I did
Well it certainly can't be any worse than here. I've been here almost 18 months and can count on one hand the number of people I've had a conversation with. And it's not for lack of trying either. Coffe mornings, BBQs, anything they put on we go to and we're blanked completely.

Hubbys been to Germany before although he was stationed somewhere else then. He loved it and would have happily gone back if it weren't for the hassle of me being unable to drive. As it is he's being sent there anyway. Once Rupe's sorted I'll start looking forward to it. It's not just the passport, we're looking at him possibly needing surgery as the nail he had cut right back is refusing to heal and infection has set in. If they can't shift it we'll be looking at the nail bed being removed completely at least, possibly him losing a toe if it's spread.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >