Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
When caring for my mother and trying to claim whatever I could for her in her 80's, I had a visit from the pension credit people, who went through her finances with a very fine toothcombe in order to give her an extra few quid a week on top of her pension and I just happened to ask this lady if I could claim the disability allowance, because she was, afterall, severely disabled, and I had a written report from her doctor stating just that. I was given the reply "no, you have to be over 17 but under 65 to claim that, she's too old at 86"!!!! Eh??? I then said to her, oh yes, I saw one of those on Jeremy Kyle this morning, the 17 year old drug addict who was claiming this allowance for his drug addiction but of course, my dear old mum who worked hard all her life and it wasn't her choice to end up disabled, she couldn't claim it The pension credit lady gave me a wry smile

Our benefit sytem needs putting in a bag and sifting it all out, so that the needy get what (and more even!!!) they need, and the low life scroungers, drug addicts, lazy scumbags who have no intention of ever getting a job get zilch, unless they're prepared to work for it, work which currently we have to ask our kind volunteers to do atm. I'm with Jeremy Kyle on this one, and half the contributors to this thread! I've paid tax all of my life, and hubby is still paying it, along with my parents who always paid it, and afterall, it's OUR money, we should have a say in who gets it imo!
exactly H, My nonna who worked her fingers to the bone since she arrived in this country in 1940 is too old for disability yet is immobile due to a stroke, her husband looks after her, he himself is diabetic, athritic but still able to act as her carer, the little assistance they do get in the form of a home help a few days a week is useful, but my Grandad is now making himself ill doing everything for her, and for how long it can continue I dont know, they are both 80 this year and have always always worked. They are genuinely in need, but they own their own home, take a small pension, and if it wasnt for my mum and dad who basically make sure financially they are ok, then I dont know where they would be.

My brother as mentioned gets just enough, although even then he only gets bare essentials - anything considered luxurious for him isnt covered - yet he is doubly incontinent, cant walk talk or do anything for himself so things we take for granted are luxuries for him.

I just dont understand the system, its all very well these do gooders who say "oh everyone is entitled and deserves a chance" - I really question that.

Perhaps there wouldnt be so many druggies, false claimants etc if there wasnt anything for them. I dont know what the answer is but I know the current system does not work, as it punishes those with and rewards those who dont deserve it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Yep, I agree that the druggies should get all the methadone they need, after all, they have human rights.

Whereas I have none.

The NHS have pretty much left me to die, won't fund £3000 for cancer treatment because they don't have enough money.
Great all those druggies that don't work, claim more money in benefits than me etc get their methadone.
Lucky for them that they will get to 'live' (waste) their life taking drugs and sitting in their paid for accomodation.

Unlucky for me - doesn't matter that I actually contribute to society, worked, pay my taxes etc etc.

Know what i'm coming back as in my next life.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I work with kids and I`d say half come from `deprived` families. The majority are eager to learn and understand the effects of their actions on other people.
It is a small vociferous minority that we notice - the bleary-eyed mums swearing at small children in the street with the pasty-faced under-sized boyfriend posturing behind.
There has always been an `underclass`. I think the difference now is that there is no accepted way of living that is held up to aspire to. If you talk about courage or loyalty to children now they don`t really know what you mean. Morality has come down to `what you can get away with.`
At the top of our particular `pile` are a Royal family with spoiled younger members, bleating about how much money they need. The next step down are Lords - Jeffrey Archer for example, then MPs -still trying to get away with fiddling the expenses, the Leaders of Finance, who have just got away with one of the biggest swindles in history...
then move down to the icons we are expected to admire- bed-hopping vacuous singers and foul-mouthed ignorant sportsmen. (Yes I know there are some admirable ones but they don`t feature in the `news`.)
I think change should begin at the top.
Hmmm, I'd say going from the source I have, about 10-15% of the kids here actually give a damn inspite of their parents. The rest are either into drugs and/or crime and getting pregnant as soon as possible to fund their "lifestyle" of being a bum! Certainly not what I'd class as a minority.

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
A few problems with certain posts here really
1) Some of these ficticious facts are laughable, where some of these claims about the benefit system have been conjured up from I don't know?
2)Whilst I don't agree with the amount of money said discussion point of thread are receiving I think it's important to live to the addage of "There for the grace of God go us all", and certainly am DISGUSTED by people here deeming what they think a disability is "worth" or exercising their most obvious limited and inexperienced knowledge on life with or as someone classed as disabled, and most importantly astereotypical and ignorant and tbf elitist view of the way in which the benefit system works and of those who have to live off it.
Please get off your highorses, making such sweeping statements as that all people being supported by the benefit systems, or making really bogus claims about benefit entitlements is just bad form, it really is. I'm genuinely shocked at some attitudes here. And no, I'm not some fluffy liberalist who thinks it's fine that a family living on the brink on the poverty line, or any person doing so, receives such a sum as discussed here; but to sit and cast your stones in such a harsh fashion...well again, for the grace of God go us all. Then again i'll probably get hung drawn and quatered here again and told that we should all have mass funding saved and set up for the possible chance we're struck with disability, or the need to care for a disabled relative. Oh dear.
High horse???? Oh yes how dare I! I've worked all my life, payed my taxes and now I'm less than pleased that lazy scumbags are bleeding this country dry! I should be hung out to dry. For Goodness sake Luke, look at the first post on this thread. It's not about genuine claimants, it's about those who think they have a RIGHT to claim money from the state because they're too lazy to get a job, not because they're genuinely ill/disabled etc.

Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
The majority of people who i know on benefits live on per week what you and i spend on a decent meal out, i really do not know where the idea comes from that these people are in luxury, i really do despair. I would never report a benefit cheat until the government show as much gusto to prosecute tax dodgers and of course themselves with the old MPs allowances.
When the playing wicket is a flat one is when i will condemn people who cheat the system.
Look at the first post on this thread and then come and live here for a little while. You'll soon get the jist.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
When caring for my mother and trying to claim whatever I could for her in her 80's, I had a visit from the pension credit people, who went through her finances with a very fine toothcombe in order to give her an extra few quid a week on top of her pension and I just happened to ask this lady if I could claim the disability allowance, because she was, afterall, severely disabled, and I had a written report from her doctor stating just that. I was given the reply "no, you have to be over 17 but under 65 to claim that, she's too old at 86"!!!! Eh??? I then said to her, oh yes, I saw one of those on Jeremy Kyle this morning, the 17 year old drug addict who was claiming this allowance for his drug addiction but of course, my dear old mum who worked hard all her life and it wasn't her choice to end up disabled, she couldn't claim it The pension credit lady gave me a wry smile

Our benefit sytem needs putting in a bag and sifting it all out, so that the needy get what (and more even!!!) they need, and the low life scroungers, drug addicts, lazy scumbags who have no intention of ever getting a job get zilch, unless they're prepared to work for it, work which currently we have to ask our kind volunteers to do atm. I'm with Jeremy Kyle on this one, and half the contributors to this thread! I've paid tax all of my life, and hubby is still paying it, along with my parents who always paid it, and afterall, it's OUR money, we should have a say in who gets it imo!
Well said!

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have no idea why you'd think that I would advocate shaming them which is what I think you're implying but why shouldn't the able bodied on benefits give something back. Those that work do so to provide for their families and also have to support those on benefits, which is fine (there but for the grace etc.) but I fail to see why those on benefits get to do nothing in return. No one has ever implied the disabled, sick etc should work for their benefit but why shouldn't those capable of work and alledgedly seeking work actually do some work, how is that shameful.
There is something fundamentally wrong in this country at the moment which is that those that work their ar*es off get very little recognition for their efforts while some on benefits get to live to a decent standard for zero effort.
It's easy to condemn us all as not living in the real world isn't it because we're all so priviledged but we're not we just see life differently and work more than one job if necessary in order to be able to live or get by. Yet where do the vast army of volunteer workers come from usually from those who have already spent a life time earning a crust.
Which is exactly where most people have a problem, why should I work hard to fund those who couldn't give a crap and don't want to work.

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Yep, I agree that the druggies should get all the methadone they need, after all, they have human rights.

Whereas I have none.

The NHS have pretty much left me to die, won't fund £3000 for cancer treatment because they don't have enough money.
Great all those druggies that don't work, claim more money in benefits than me etc get their methadone.
Lucky for them that they will get to 'live' (waste) their life taking drugs and sitting in their paid for accomodation.

Unlucky for me - doesn't matter that I actually contribute to society, worked, pay my taxes etc etc.

Know what i'm coming back as in my next life.
So sad and sooo not fair.
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11