24-06-2010, 03:49 PM

£2220 a month on benefits

The couple in the vid get:

£308 - Childrens tax credits
£90 - housing and council tax benefits
£60 - child benefit
£44 - income support
£53 carers allowance for toddler with cleft pallette

The government are already planning to take £11bn out of welfare spending, yet today the chancellor said that if the government could cut spending on benefits even more, they would do so.

Much play had been made in the Budget of the apparently lavish sums that some people can claim from the state. But is that the whole picture?

Richard Watson has spent the day in Stockton-on-Tees with a family who rely on state allowances for most aspects of their lives.
See vid here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...8758592.stm?ls
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 03:55 PM
£53 a week for a cleft palette---that seems a lot?

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 03:59 PM
and then we wonder why this country is in so much debt
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:02 PM
I can't see the video coz it says the BBC server is too busy, too much traffic, wonder why???????

It's outrageous isn't it! Sometimes I wish I was Prime Minister, I'd only give it to those who ARE in need and unable to get work, otherwise they'd have to get a bladdy job like the rest of us! No wonder they don't want to go out to work, they could never earn that money

That's why I wanted this lot in, coz I knew they'd sort it, let's hope they DO!
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:04 PM
THEY SPEND £2000 AT CHRISTMAS ON THEIR CHILDREN SO THEY CAN HAVE BRAND NAME STUFF, THATS £400 PER CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCUSTING, how are they supposed to learn the value of money????????????? I AM JUST GOBSMACKED WITH THAT ONE.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:11 PM
More than I make working full time especially now my pay's frozen for 2 years. Shocking! So where's my extra for NOT overpopulating the world and having kids and NOT taking a year off on maternity leave?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against anyone having kids, it's having kids and behaving like these are
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-06-2010, 04:13 PM
I can't see the video it's taking forever to load but I think it's the same as the one on newsnight last night. The problem is like many others they see no reason to go to work. They'd probably never earn that sort of money if they did but because it's handed to them they don't appreciate quite how hard some people have to work for that kind of money. I really believe if they are able bodied they should work for the local community in return for their benefits assuming there are no paid jobs available.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I can't see the video it's taking forever to load but I think it's the same as the one on newsnight last night. The problem is like many others they see no reason to go to work. They'd probably never earn that sort of money if they did but because it's handed to them they don't appreciate quite how hard some people have to work for that kind of money. I really believe if they are able bodied they should work for the local community in return for their benefits assuming there are no paid jobs available.

I totally agree with this, i saw a while back on the news somewhere were looking for X amount of volunteers to go out and clear the litter around and in a town (quite cant remember the details) but i remember my OH telling me to calm down as i was having a volcanic eruption re why people on benefits are not aproached to do this work in return for their benefits, surly it would give them some pride and selfesteem knowing they where actually giving something back, THIS MAKES ME SOOOOOOOOOOO MAD.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
£53 a week for a cleft palette---that seems a lot?

rune
Too right I get the exact same amount for looking after my severly disabled son...unfair society we live in.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, and I used to get the grand sum of £47 a week being a FULL TIME carer for my mum who needed care 24/7 plus I had to fight to get it, they wouldn't have paid it to me if she wasn't bed-ridden and needed constant supervision, so how come a kid with a cleft pallate can even GET money for their carer then?????? Does she EAT 24/7 then??? Don't think so!!!! They know how to play the system don't they, whereas the genuine people DON'T!

Are we the only country who pays out these ridiculous amounts I wonder?????????
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »