View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-07-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree, I should perhaps say I've never been involved in the 'show world' and with our two I can stroke their tail with no probs, but they don't like being 'manhandled' and they definately don't like being lifted of the ground (Mind you at 60Kgs you'd be risking a hernia if you tried )

I wrote my previous post because I've been attempting to groom them this morning, I start at the front and they just lie there and don't murmour, but as soon as we move to the back they start to get a bit fidgety, and by the time I'm running the comb through their tail they've had enough and will usually get up and walk away, like telling me 'that's it for this session, try again tommorrow'
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Just one minor point - you've quoted the wrong breed!

The dog in question was Field Spaniel!

the matter has been reported to the KC, as is the correct procedure, and they will take further action.

As far as i know the judge was bitten on the face quite close to her eye, and the wound did become infected, however she is now recovering.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I agree, I should perhaps say I've never been involved in the 'show world' and with our two I can stroke their tail with no probs, but they don't like being 'manhandled' and they definately don't like being lifted of the ground (Mind you at 60Kgs you'd be risking a hernia if you tried )

I wrote my previous post because I've been attempting to groom them this morning, I start at the front and they just lie there and don't murmour, but as soon as we move to the back they start to get a bit fidgety, and by the time I'm running the comb through their tail they've had enough and will usually get up and walk away, like telling me 'that's it for this session, try again tommorrow'
I think your being unreasonable...i can't see why you can't lift your dogs on to a table! hehehe!

Think you would need a fork lift!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Just one minor point - you've quoted the wrong breed!

The dog in question was Field Spaniel!

the matter has been reported to the KC, as is the correct procedure, and they will take further action.

As far as i know the judge was bitten on the face quite close to her eye, and the wound did become infected, however she is now recovering.

Oops, sorry!! I read it this morning, then was discussing it with my friend and didnt have the article when i typed this up - apologies

But i honestly think the breed is irrelevant and i dont think anyone here would say that its a problem with the breed when a show dog bites the judge, its the individual dog that has to be looked at
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Yes it has been reported to the KC.
Statements would have been taken from both the judge and the exhibitor on the day and the exhibitor will be given a certain amount of time to produce any evidence that they may think relevant to the dogs response on the day. The KC will then assess the evidence submitted and decide on the course of action to take. Action could range from advising the exhibitor to take better care up to banning the dog and fining the exhibitor

Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it depends on why she was in pain/uncomfortable and why she was.

With regards to the tail, I can touch Skyes tail, stroke it and check it but when doing it you can tell she is not a fan of it(hope I make myself clear) So I think its possible a dog could bite if say it had been a long day, she wasnt feeling herself, she may have some pain in her tail, after all a dog cant say if its feeling out of sorts. Even the most well behaved/trained dogs can change for all sorts of reasons.

Should the dog be banned, imo not right away but I would hope the owner would try and locate the problem before showing again and if none could be indentified would think very carefully before showing again.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 10:36 PM
I haven't read the article yet but to be honest I would say it's best left to the KC to sort out. As Willowish says they will take statements from the owner, judge and any witnesses and make a ruling. That I think is the fairest policy. I would just say though that the fact it's a champion makes no differnce at all and it shouldn't matter either if the dog happened to belong to a face.
In general, and not referring to this case at all, a dog should be able to be gone over thoroughly if it's going to be in a show ring and that includes the placing of the tail or measuring of it.
What grinds me is dogs being taken to shows which are not of the right temperament and should not be there. There is a thread going on another forum about a rotti biting another exhibitor. Now I wasn't there, I'll admit that but friends of mine were with their rottis. The dog has been banned from two ringcrafts because of it's temperament and the owners lack of control and I've been at a show a year ago when this dog kicked off trying to bite a person all within a couple of feet of me. At the time It was commented the dog shouldn't be at shows but unfortunately a year on it's taken a nasty bite to another exhibitor before this dog will get taken out of the ring and rightly banned.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Am surprised that it is thought the tail is particularly sensitive. Terrier tails are grabbed and pulled to remove them from holes, I often grab my dogs by their tails, dogs clout their tails hard enough to damage or break them and do not seem to noticed, in fact, damaged tails are often chewed and there seems to be no pain involved and least not enough to stop the dog chewing.

However my dogs do not like their tail unfurled, for some reason all round judges do sometimes check the length against the hocks and that does not go down too well with the dogs but they do not bite or yelp or even bother in most cases to move.

Think any dog that bites anywhere should be subject to a thorough examination to find out why before any action is taken. Most dogs are stoic (sp) and dogs do not yelp for effect, that dog was hurt in some way although it may not have been the judge that caused it, may have been standing on something sharp or had a sudden stomach cramp.

Dogs that have always been ready with their teeth and never learned to inhibit their biting should IMO if kept be always muzzled in public.
sammy69
New Member!
Female 

26-07-2008, 03:00 PM
This is what really annoys some people with these things. If this dog was not a springer spaniel but a Staffy, rottweiller etc then everyone would of jumped up and said "dangerous dog, put it down" but as its not it gets a few sentences in the local paper. Rant over.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by sammy69 View Post
This is what really annoys some people with these things. If this dog was not a springer spaniel but a Staffy, rottweiller etc then everyone would of jumped up and said "dangerous dog, put it down" but as its not it gets a few sentences in the local paper. Rant over.

From a fellow bull terrier owner .... i couldn't agree more!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >