Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Possibly, in some cases, however I have seen many "names" with unhandlable dogs in the ring, puppies mainly, and even a CC winner shying away but still awarded the CC!!

I absolutely agree, but you have to have decent specimens of both types in the first place. I mean mating a Continental male with an excellen head, to a bitch with a poor head and weak underjaw, would be useless if they both had poor hind angulation. Im back on heads again, its probably the most important "tool" the Dobermann possesses, its the one thing he relies on in most of the work he was designed for, which is why, for me, it needs to be a good one.

Ferris and Mayhem were very different to look at, I dont know if you saw either of them, but I watched them both gain their titles and many a time watched Dave Anderson with Ferris in the "big ring" with him, he floated! (Ferris not Dave!) his movement was perfection, a lot of this has gone too now, with poor angulation, many dogs go up and down on the spot, no reach or drive, which is what I liked about your dog in the photo, he appears to have very good reach and drive.

Mayhem was a standard sized dog, some said Ferris was too big, didnt stop him winning 40 odd CC's though! Mayhem did a lot for the breed in many ways, but like anything else, you can have too much of a good thing.

Can I ask what dog you think is the ideal Dobermann, in your opinion (not your own) and is the most typical of its breed, alive or dead.
I never saw either in the ring, only pictures and thats because they are in Khans pedigree and I found them by accident in a book. I have only been showing for nearly 3 years so the older British dogs are available to see by pics only. In all fairness I couldn't say off the top of my head because I don't feel that I have the knowledge or experience to comment on other peoples dogs especially those that are in the ring now but one that has always caught my eye in my book is Findjans Poseidon, though the pic I've got is taken at an angle and his underjaw is difficult to see. He seems to have more front than alot of dogs around at the time and squarer.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
I never saw Poseidon saw Chaos though, he was nice. I always liked "Pompie Sea Jade of Chancepixies" she had a beautiful head too.
http://www.pompie.co.uk/index.htm

I just wondered what you thought was an ideal Dobe, not wanting to comment on it, just a dog you liked. of current times, I like "Ch Chancepixies Monopolist" http://www.chancepixies.com/monopolist.htm
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I never saw Poseidon saw Chaos though, he was nice. I always liked "Pompie Sea Jade of Chancepixies" she had a beautiful head too.
http://www.pompie.co.uk/index.htm

I just wondered what you thought was an ideal Dobe, not wanting to comment on it, just a dog you liked. of current times, I like "Ch Chancepixies Monopolist" http://www.chancepixies.com/monopolist.htm
Pompie Sea Jade isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid. She seems to have a dropped tail set and not much front, also not a strong topline. Though some of that could be because her front legs are too far forward. Nice shape overall.

Monopolist looks fantastic on the main pic, but I don't like pictures superimposed it can be deceiving (just my preference about pics.) Several websites I have been on and looked at dogs and they certainly don't look like the pics in the ring. Which is why I think it is important to actually see a prospective dog/bitch mate in the flesh before mating. Then of course you get into what is behind the dog if you want to use/reintroduce certain lines and that is way out of my field at the moment which is why I get my experienced friends opinions and help about researching pedigrees. Mind you as soon as I ask about health tests most enquiries disappear into the void but that is another thread................................
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2007, 07:30 AM
I like this bitch very much, she looks like she can do a days work and take a man down. I know the pic shows her on a slope but her topline is that good in the flesh. I'm not into fine dainty bitches I like substance. As I say I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but she catches my eye, and although I don't know a great deal about the finer details of conformation I know what I like if you follow my meaning.

http://www.amious.co.uk/
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I like substance too, she is ok but a bit doggy and heavy fronted for me, in that pic. I see what you mean about the angle of the pic and accept your word that her topline is good in the "flesh" She looks a bit steep in upper arm on the pic and short in the neck.

Its personal choice, I dont think thats a good pic of her, I have seen her several times and have always thought her worthy of her winnings and more worthy than many of those placed above her.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh forgot, the Dobe I co-own is the one in this section posted by Sue L.
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh forgot, the Dobe I co-own is the one in this section posted by Sue L.
Aah wonder why you hadn't given him a critique, thought it strange.

Not the best pic of Luna I agree. Her owner is hoping to get her to Crufts but she only had her pups on 28th November so time will tell. Be interesting to see how my boy will do this year, least they have big rings so he can stride out. Are you going?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Yes Im going, I organise and run the discover dogs stand for my breed (Border Terrier) Ill put it up on Wednesday, then probably go on the Saturday and the Sunday. Pop by if you get time, I am usually struggling for air by lunchtime as it gets that busy. Best of luck there. Who is doing the Dobes?
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes Im going, I organise and run the discover dogs stand for my breed (Border Terrier) Ill put it up on Wednesday, then probably go on the Saturday and the Sunday. Pop by if you get time, I am usually struggling for air by lunchtime as it gets that busy. Best of luck there. Who is doing the Dobes?
Lynne Rock doing dogs and Miss A Lonsdale?? Don't think I know her.

Referee C Cartledge

Will pop by and see you, we are on the Saturday.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Ahh, I know Lynne well, my first Dobe was a son of their (when married to Paul) first Champion "Ch Othertons Statesman" I THINK A. Lonsdale is Di Lonsdale's mother, Im not sure though! (Perihelia)
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >