Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 09:27 PM

Is Blue too old?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have my beautiful baby dally, who is nearly 10 months now. When she was a lot younger I took her to ringcraft but she didn't get on with it very well & then I went into hospital etc and didn't get into the swing of going again! I would like to try and take her again, but have I left it too long now to try? I'm so proud of her and I'd love to show her off!

She might be a little bit on the small side though - she's very petite and sleek, I think she's the breed standard 56cm, but I'm not 100% sure as she won't stand still long enough for me to check hee hee!

Thanks everyone!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 09:51 PM
She might enjoy it more this time around, of course she`s not too old

Look at how many adult dogs of several years of age go in to rescues never having even learned a Sit on cue and end up as Agility / Flyball / Obedience / HTM stars.

Who ever said you can`t teach an old dogs new tricks, [ and at your girls age she`s still a baby ], was clueless about dogs so don`t let that silly old wives tale put you off seeing if she might like it now :smt001
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Fantastic thanks I've found a training class which is closer than the one I was using before and easier to get to, plus they also do obedience (could come in handy hee hee!) They do the KC good citizens, so maybe one day!!!!!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 10:18 PM
We started ringcraft with our lab at 5 years old, and she loves showing!!! 10 months is definately not too old, especially if she has done it before!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Awwwwwww! Ok awesome thank you! Hopefully she'll remember at least some things! Although I'm not holding my breath - she's beautiful but somewhat lacking in brain cells hee hee!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 06:07 PM
You daft bint! I keep telling you she's not too old! To be honest, I think dallies prefer it as they get a bit older, when they're very young most are too excitable to stand still so it's not much fun for them. Takara didn't like concentrating that much as a young pup so we didn't do too much but she absolutely loves showing now

Don't worry about her size, if she's tall enough she'll be fine. Dallies don't tend to fill out until they're two years old anyway. Takara's only just bulking out a bit now at 18 months old.

I don't know this is a medical fact, but I haven't had Takara done and she's bulked out a little with each season so I'm glad I didn't. This last season has seen her looking much more like a dally than a whippet!
Give her time, she'll bulk out So long as she doesn't end up like Tara
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh course she isn't too old!

Maddy has been out of the swing for over 6 months now since she was attacked, but we are still working on getting her back in as she is a lovely bitch and she loves showing too!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Go for it!
I bought Deccy when he was SIX MONTHS old and look how well he has taken to it
Look forward to seeing you in the results!
Lottie - it's absolutely true, bitches fill out after a season (or two) Deccy's sister is fully mature and on a RCC, Deccy has a long way to go yet
As a judge, I can say don't worry about size, it's confirmation and movement that count more than anything - if she's in proportion it won't matter! Some are coming out too big these days IMO with over long backs, appalling tails, snipey heads and can't move to save their lives PLUS everyone expects a youngster to misbehave in the ring trust me!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Definitely not - no way - my first boy I started showing was over a year when we started! I have trained a puppy since and have to say it was easier with the older one - ok he had a few habits we had to work on - sitting when stopping but he learnt very quickly! So go for it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I've managed to find a ringcraft class near me for Wilson and he's 6.5 mths old.
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >