View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your helpful information, diagnosis hasn't been confirmed although the vet suspects it may be the case. If the Panacur does not work, the next step apparently is a stool sample off to the Labs. There has been no talk of repeating the treatment - should this be queried?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Did you guys have to be tested for it too? As it can pass to humans easily from what I know.

Goldenseal Root is meant to be good for it too.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Our dog, Tai, nearly died from giardia infestation. A few years ago they started to spread human sewage sludge on the fields as a so-called organic alternative to artificial nitrogen-based fertiliser. If you do a search for "giardia" on this site, you will find hundreds of my posts about our long battle to get Tai fixed, and then ourselves, as we "caught" giardia from Tai.

Myself and OH were very ill with giardia, and of course it is virtually unknown in humans in this country, and not much more common in dogs. As this disgusting habit of putting human waste on our arable land increases in popularity, there will be more and more cases of humans being infected - doctors are not good at diagnosing giardia for obvious reasons, and if they manage to, will put it down to the patient "having been abroad".

As Rune says, the cheapest way of treating it is with Equine Panacur because you can buy this on the internet 1 litre at a time. You will need to declare that it is for horses - but the formula is exactly the same as for dogs, it just says Equine on the bottle! Both my husband and myself have taken Equine Panacur ourselves because the human medication - Metronidazole - makes you feel like crap, and Panacur is far more effective. It doesn't taste too bad, and we just take it at the right dose for our weight and for 5 days and it knocks the little ******** on the head.

For dogs, you need to treat robustly - following the dosage rate for dogs but treat for 1 week to make absolutely sure that you kill the cysts as they "hatch", as well as the adult giardia.
Having read your post I realise how lucky my 2 were to get over Giardia so quickly. My cat at the time was only a kitten. The 1st vet did not test for Giardia so he had it a long time before being treated with panicur. Do you know why it can be caught through human sewage sludge as I was lead to believe it was caught through contaminated meat or contaminated dog poo.
Thanks Yvonne.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thank you everyone for your helpful information, diagnosis hasn't been confirmed although the vet suspects it may be the case. If the Panacur does not work, the next step apparently is a stool sample off to the Labs. There has been no talk of repeating the treatment - should this be queried?
Yes, it must be repeated.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
Yes, it must be repeated.
Agreed, all info I have read says to repeat to kill the larvae when they hatch x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 10:38 AM
How long it it after treatment that a normsl poo could be expected. ?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Did you guys have to be tested for it too? As it can pass to humans easily from what I know.

Goldenseal Root is meant to be good for it too.
It hasn't been confirmed as Giardia, vet is only treating in case it is as there has been no response to other treatment x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Panacur should do the trick if it is giardia, but robust treatment is the name of the game. The recommended 3 or 5 days may not be sufficient. Depending on the age of the dog, a course of 7 days following the directions for the weight of the dog would be advised. Not all vets will advise this, but I have years of experience with this ghastly protozoa and I know what I'm talking about.

Sometimes our boys have needed a course of metronidazole - the vet will prescribe this, it is a very strong a.b. but is the human medicine for giardia.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
Having read your post I realise how lucky my 2 were to get over Giardia so quickly. My cat at the time was only a kitten. The 1st vet did not test for Giardia so he had it a long time before being treated with panicur. Do you know why it can be caught through human sewage sludge as I was lead to believe it was caught through contaminated meat or contaminated dog poo.
Thanks Yvonne.
Giardia is present in every single sewage farm in the country now, because of our large immigrant population and also because we travel to exotic 3rd world countries now where giardia is endemic. It only needs 1 person's faeces infected with giardia to contaminate the whole sewage farm. The sewage sludge, the solids, which consist not only of human faeces contaminated with giardia, but every other bacterium, pathogen, protozoan, parasite known to man plus industrial chemicals, carcinogenic materials, engine oil, battery acid, you name it, it gets flushed (illegally) down the lavatory in many factories etc. etc., is partially treated - note the word partially - and then spread on the fields as a nitrogen fertiliser. The partial treatment does NOT kill the giardia spores, so if you enjoy a bowl of cornflakes of a morning, you are doubtless eating corn that was fertilised with human poo poo - nice! When they spread this stuff on the fields, it goes everywhere of course, into our gardens, onto the footpaths, bridleways, everywhere. You will see lumps of it lying everywhere - to be eaten by our dogs, rabbits, birds. This is how our family contracted giardia, from our dogs, who pick it up on their paws from the footpaths and bridleways along which the tractor and trailer spreading the HSS has driven, dropping the stuff off the wheels, and then they bring it into the house on their paws, they lick their paws, they ingest spores of giardia, they become infected with giardia, they lick us - however careful you are not to let your dog lick your face, they will still get a crafty one in on your fingers, and unless you wash your hands IMMEDIATELY, invariably the giardia - and other nasties too - will get into your body through mucous membranes, if not directly into your mouth. It is terribly infectious, you can get giardia either of course from the live protozoa by drinking contaminated water or faecal matter, or by ingesting the cysts which will embed themselves into the gut wall and make you very poorly. So yes, it is contracted from faecal matter - either directly or indirectly.

Normal disinfectant will not kill the spores or the giardia themselves, you need to use quaternary disinfectant, which you can buy cheaply online.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2012, 03:52 PM
How long it it after treatment that a normsl poo could be expected. ?
If the treatment has worked, very quickly. The recovery is like a miracle - on average we find with our boys that the recovery is usually a day after we have started the panacur, both in terms of well-being and poo, but sometimes it takes longer. The average would be 2 days I guess.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >