Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Natural Alternatives to Metacam

My Tilly is almost 16 years old, a german shepherd collie cross and suffers from arthritis. She had surgery for a cruciate ligament rupture when she was 3 and has done really well since then, but I have used glucosamine and chondroitin as well as metacam to control the arthritis in recent years. For about a year now she has been on the full dose of metacam for her weight (30 kg) and is showing occasional signs of digestive problems (soft stools, diarrhoea and occasional sickness).
I would like to reduce her metacam dosage and have been reading about devils claw as an alternative.
Does anyone know if it would be safe to give her a smaller dose of metacam (say for 15 kg) along with the devils claw?
Also does anyone know if there are any known side effects of devils claw as that is what I am trying to reduce by cutting out the full dose of metacam.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.
Many thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Bromelain – naturally occurring enzyme sourced from the pineapple plant. It is predominantly found in the stem. Standardized extract is available alone or in combination with other products. It contains numerous anti-inflammatory chemicals and reduces the inflammatory response by alleviating pressure within the joint and allowing a greater ROM (range of movement).

Cetyl-Myristoleate – extracted from the Kombo nut, found in the commercial product Cetyl – M

Chondroitin - chondroitin sulphate is an important component of cartilage and the marine form is considered more bio available and powerful than the bovine form

Cod Liver Oil - contains around three times less Omega 3 EFA (essential fatty acids) than that of FBO. Also, as CLO contains a significant amount of Vitamins A and D pregnant bitches should not be given this supplement; if a dog is being fed a commercial diet, you should check that recommended doses are not being exceeded as of course these contain Vitamins A and D. Raw fed dogs will normally have sufficient of these vitamins via liver and bones.

Devils Claw - is a traditional herbal product, known as wood spider, a plant native to South Africa and traditionally taken as tea. The main anti-inflammatory agent is harpagoside which helps prevent the conversion of arachidonic acid into pro inflammatory messengers

Fish Body Oil - is extracted from the flesh of oily fish such as salmon, herrings, sardines, pilchards and mackerel. They are a rich source of EPA and DHA (always ensure that the quantities of both are identified on the labels of FBO).

Flaxseed Oil - (Linseed Oil) is ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) which the dog has to convert to EPA and DHA, thus it is not such an efficient or effective source of Omega 3 as FBO from either the point of bio-availability or cost.
Ginger Extract – another traditional product which contains anti inflammatory properties

Glucosamine – is an amino sugar which is one of the main building blocks of cartilage; the HCl form is purer than the 2KCl form

Green Lipped Mussel – contains glycosaminoglycans

Hyaluronic Acid – aids joint lubrication and shock absorption

MSM - provides a source of sulphur molecules required for the formation of connective tissue

Rosehip extract – contain antioxidants such as Vitamin C both of which may have an anti inflammatory action.

Turmeric – contains curcumin, better to take a supplement which contains standardised extract than just the off the shelf powdered spice.

Vitamin C – essential in the formation of collagen

Vitamin E – if you give FBO then you should also supplement with this vitamin as the former depletes the body of the latter.

You should always consult your vet if you are considering using alternative treatments such as Devils Claw with a POM or get a referral to a herbal vet.

http://www.herbalvets.org.uk/
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Many thanks for all that information SmokeyBear - I will take some time to look in detail at all the products mentioned.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Bromelain – naturally occurring enzyme sourced from the pineapple plant. It is predominantly found in the stem. Standardized extract is available alone or in combination with other products. It contains numerous anti-inflammatory chemicals and reduces the inflammatory response by alleviating pressure within the joint and allowing a greater ROM (range of movement).

Cetyl-Myristoleate – extracted from the Kombo nut, found in the commercial product Cetyl – M

Chondroitin - chondroitin sulphate is an important component of cartilage and the marine form is considered more bio available and powerful than the bovine form

Cod Liver Oil - contains around three times less Omega 3 EFA (essential fatty acids) than that of FBO. Also, as CLO contains a significant amount of Vitamins A and D pregnant bitches should not be given this supplement; if a dog is being fed a commercial diet, you should check that recommended doses are not being exceeded as of course these contain Vitamins A and D. Raw fed dogs will normally have sufficient of these vitamins via liver and bones.

Devils Claw - is a traditional herbal product, known as wood spider, a plant native to South Africa and traditionally taken as tea. The main anti-inflammatory agent is harpagoside which helps prevent the conversion of arachidonic acid into pro inflammatory messengers

Fish Body Oil - is extracted from the flesh of oily fish such as salmon, herrings, sardines, pilchards and mackerel. They are a rich source of EPA and DHA (always ensure that the quantities of both are identified on the labels of FBO).

Flaxseed Oil - (Linseed Oil) is ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) which the dog has to convert to EPA and DHA, thus it is not such an efficient or effective source of Omega 3 as FBO from either the point of bio-availability or cost.
Ginger Extract – another traditional product which contains anti inflammatory properties

Glucosamine – is an amino sugar which is one of the main building blocks of cartilage; the HCl form is purer than the 2KCl form

MSM - provides a source of sulphur molecules required for the formation of connective tissue

Rosehip extract – contain antioxidants such as Vitamin C both of which may have an anti inflammatory action.

Turmeric – contains curcumin, better to take a supplement which contains standardised extract than just the off the shelf powdered spice.

Vitamin E – if you give FBO then you should also supplement with this vitamin as the former depletes the body of the latter.

You should always consult your vet if you are considering using alternative treatments such as Devils Claw with a POM or get a referral to a herbal vet.

Thanks for this, I was just going to post a similar thread but alas you have the answers for me already
gwenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:47 PM
hi,I once had a fifteen year old collie with really bad arthritis.My vet told me to try various things in the hopes that if everything helped a little,she might be more comfortable.She had a Bioflo collar,was on trocoxil,and I also gave her a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement,she also had occasional courses of cartrophen injections,which all really helped her.Its a cruel disease.Good luck.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Whisper suffers with occasional stiffness in one of her shoulders and the Cetyl-M supplement have really helped her.

I also use a Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Vitamin C + MSM supplement, Green Lipped Mussel, Omega Oil and I've just started using Turmeric too.

I have been looking at (( This Supplement )) too but I'll be paying for her Cetyl-M soon and can't afford both at the moment. xx

Hope you find something that can help.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. You have given me a lot to think about and research. Tilly has been wearing a bio-flow collar for several years - it seemed to have a beneficial effect initially but I am not sure it is helping much now. She has also been on Glucosamine and Chondroitin longterm and this definately seems to aid her mobility. At the moment, she is experiencing some stomach problems with the hefty dose of metacam she is on and, although my priority is to keep her pain free, it would be good to find something as effective as metacam but without the digestive side effects.

Many thanks to you all and all the best with your own dogs mobility problems.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I would recommend a liver function test at intervals if your dog is on metacam - I`ve just had to take a dog off NSAIDs because he had an enlarged liver. Luckily the supplements manage his arthrtitis well.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for that ClaireandDaisy, Tilly's last liver function test was showing no problems I'm glad to say