View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 01:31 PM

KC drop "Alsatian" from German Shepherd breed name.

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/News/42-Front-Cover
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 01:56 PM
OK, I may be ignorant here but I thought the name Alsation was no longer used anyhow?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 02:10 PM
ok so they remove alsation from the title of the breed standard, not such a big deal,

however there are still people out there who believe that both names are associated with different dogs/breeds, i have heard everything from a gsd is longcoat and alsation short, i have heard that if it has a straight back its alsation, if its sloped its gsd and the other way about, the only way to prove to these people that they are infact one in the same was the breed standard, although now i just try to ignore it as some people are just so set in there ways that they are different breeds instead of one, and it has always been something that really p'd me right off, so i avoid getting into an argument over it now.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I have known these dogs as "Alsatians" since I was a kid. I am not going to stop now. I would have thought that the KC had more important things to think about, anyway.

Snorri
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Is it not the 'Alsatian' breeders that follow the working lines with the straight backs and the 'German Shepherd' breeders that have the roach backs?

Could be wrong though as I know very little about GSDs and even less about breed showing

More info peeps can supply the better pleeeeeeeeease?
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 02:37 PM
taken directly from wikipedia

Name
The breed was named Deutscher Schäferhund by Von Stephanitz, literally translating to "German Shepherd Dog". The breed was so named due to its original purpose of assisting shepherds in herding and protecting sheep. At the time, all other herding dogs in Germany were referred to by this name; they thus became known as Altdeutsche Schäferhunde or Old German Shepherd Dogs. Shepherds were first exported to Britain in 1908, and the UK Kennel Club began to recognise the breed in 1919.
The direct translation of the name was adopted for use in the official breed registry; however, at the conclusion of World War I, it was believed that the inclusion of the word "German" would harm the breed's popularity,[12] due to the anti-German sentiment of the era.[13] The breed was officially renamed by the UK Kennel Club to "Alsatian Wolf Dog"[12] which was also adopted by many other international kennel clubs. Eventually, the appendage "wolf dog" was dropped.[12] The name Alsatian remained for five decades,[12] until 1977, when successful campaigns by dog enthusiasts pressured the British kennel clubs to allow the breed to be registered again as German Shepherd Dogs.[2] The word "Alsatian" still appeared in parentheses as part of the formal breed name and was only removed in 2010
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 02:43 PM
yep but in terms of what the name represents as opposed to the official breed name? Is that not to do with shape?

Sorry I know I'm extremely thick about this as I'm from an agility background rather than a showing one. Just very curious and would love to know more if anyone can offer info?
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
yep but in terms of what the name represents as opposed to the official breed name? Is that not to do with shape?

Sorry I know I'm extremely thick about this as I'm from an agility background rather than a showing one. Just very curious and would love to know more if anyone can offer info?
nope

The name change is all because of the war.... (above post explain better)
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 03:26 PM
ok no probs,

was under the impression that was the initial reason but that the two factions remained due to the straight back / roach back argument but I stand corrected

As I say I'm not massively knowledgable about these things. I only have one papered dog and that is an ISDS collie who is KC registered due to that (as opposed to dual registered from birth if you see what I mean) Rest are all just WSDs from the KCs perspective or crossbreeds. As long as they are happy, fit and healthy thats enough for me.

Thankyou for explaining.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Jeez, it's 65 years since WW2 ended, and people are still arguing about it?????

Snorri
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >