Thoughts
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...e-fancys-sins/

Thoughts
A typical American who dislikes show dogs(mind you I don't like the US show scene especially the GSDs)

I've always bred my dogs for what is between their ears & for health, maybe I am wrong I should just have got two dogs & bred from them, no health testing etc etc.....er no I don't think so
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Ahh I missed that before, thankyou
I find it interesting. Not the best written and a bit ranty but some points really stuck with me

JodeeUK I agree, my first look at the show scene was mainly American and I do find the UK scene not so bad so I can understand his more extream views - but where America goes we have the danger of following

One thing that really stuck with me
Where IS the evidence that dogs bred from a good show breeder are healthier than those bred from a good puppy farm?
It SOUNDS sensible that someone doing all the health checks will have healither dogs
BUT
until recently I really didnt know the level of inbreeding/linebreeding that goes on in expert breeders'
SO curious if the effect of the significantly reduced genetic diversity compared to the health testing?

Personally I feel that the way the experts are breeding is not sustainable in the very long term and we need to do something about it
and of course the way puppy farmers do it is not good either

I think we need to do something totaly different
But sadly I cant see that happening, but hopefully there will be enough pet breeders out there breeding from their healthy enough pets and not inbreeding too much that we will have some genetic diversity left if things go wrong one day