Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 08:00 PM

What fruits are harmful...?

I have recently been told that fruits can be harmful to dogs. Unfortunately flower has managed to jump up onto the ledge in the garden and bite the heads of my strawberry plant... As much as I love the plant!! hehe (I'm no gardner!!) I dont want her to become poorly again......! There were only 2 small unripe fruits on it but I am unsure of how harmful it could be??

Any info would be appreciated!!

xxxxxxxxxxx
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Here's a list of some of the worst offender's (in relation to fruit anyway).

Avocado contains a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. They are high in fat and can trigger stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. The pit is also toxic, and if it gets lodged in the intestinal tract, it can create a severe blockage requiring surgery. Remember, avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole, so keep pets out of the dip.

Onions and onion powder can damage pets' red blood cells. After ingesting onions, a dog can become anemic and have trouble breathing.

Tomatoes, rhubarb, citrus fruits can be bad for pets.

Raisins and grapes may lead to kidney failure in pets. In addition, raisin sugar can contribute to tooth decay.

Some nuts such as macadamia nuts can be toxic to pets.

Moldy or spoiled foods pose dangers from diarrhea to mycotoxin poisoning.

Sprouting or green potatoes can be toxic.

Many other dangers exist too, please remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs if ingested in sufficient quantaties, baking chocolate is the worst because it contains the highest amount of theobromine.

Caffeine can affect the central nervous system and the heart.

Fatty foods can lead to gastrointestinal upset, digestive disorders and pancreas inflammation.

Hope this helps.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
When I was associated with racing greyhounds, we used to feed the dogs oranges - citrus - not the skin or pith, but the flesh. Maybe things have changed, but my dog adores apples, pears, oranges, melons and just about anything.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 08:41 AM
No things haven't changed ozmut, they're just better avoided if you are uncertain of the amount you can feed YOUR dog without it being affected. Apples are fine (avoid the pips) and oranges very depending on the amount fed and your own dogs sensitivity. For some the acidity is just too much however, for cats ALL citrus fruit is toxic.

Here's another list taken from ;

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Natural_Dog_Foods

Foods to Avoid

Some foods hold varying levels of toxicity for your pet. Some may simply irritate your dog's mouth and stomach, while others are actually poisonous.

It's best to avoid feeding:

* Onions
* Chocolate
* Avocados
* Raw potatoes
* Tomatoes
* Hot peppers
* Citrus

XX
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2007, 03:52 AM
I guess you people are not too concerned about the plant called "Rose Apple". It grows in tropical or semi-tropical areas (where I am).

My neighbour planted several, which grew over into my yard. The flesh is fine ( they use it to flavour apple sweets), but the seed is toxic to dogs.

They grow and look like an apricot, but they produce so many flowers and fruit!

I have just paid $A100, to have the trees trimmed back, but I can still see a couple of the fruit forming.

I am constantly on my guard - I walk in my back yard first, way before I let my dog out.
The Muttlies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Tomatoes are actually fine for dogs - it's just the green parts that contain solanine which is toxic to dog.

A bit of tomato juice (no sodium added) is supposed to get rid of brown spots caused by urine.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by The Muttlies View Post
Tomatoes are actually fine for dogs - it's just the green parts that contain solanine which is toxic to dog.
A bit of tomato juice (no sodium added) is supposed to get rid of brown spots caused by urine.
Thanks for that I was worried as Dax occasionally has a bit of tomato but never the green bits as I don't like overripe tomatoes so give him any very ripe soft bits. I'd stopped after reading this thread but it looks as though its back on he can have the bits I'd throw away.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by The Muttlies View Post

You can use tomatoe juice to neutralize the PH in your dogs urine, as it's the acidity that causes the brown staining.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Our dogs eat the wild strawberries in the garden and the windfall grengages and have had no problems.

With the bad foodstuffs I would add corn cobs, I have known people to feed these to dogs, but there have been cases of serious complications and death due to intestinal obstruction as there is a tendency for them to swell in the gut.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Grapes are very poisionus and can kill dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >