Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 08:12 AM

Broken PC

HAve only been able to view dogsey from my works pc as mine is temporarily goosed, stopped working last week, usb ports just gave up on me, have tried to insert a PCI card (almost sounds like I know what I am doing!!) and that didnt work either so my modem won't work my printer won't work and my camera won't work!!

Apparently according to the knowledgable IT guy at my work I may need a new mother board, but pennies are not forthcoming just now as Ben needs his tumour removed and that is far more important than PC!!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2006, 08:24 AM
It dosn't have to cost alot it all depends on what processor you have in your pc at the moment if you know that then a replacement motherboard won't cost alot.
All the other bits like your ram, harddrive, cd drive, floppy can all be used again on the new motherboard. New Mothboards start from as little over £20:00 it all depends on your processor.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Using windows ME, amd duron processor and bios is
ambios simple set up utility version 1.21.06.
Don't know if that means anything to you!!!!! But thats whart I had to email the guy at work........

Though he did say that he could not understand why the PCi card would not work as in theory it is stand alone!!!

What did we ever do without technology!!! Thank goodness work is liberal about PC usage!!!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum
Using amd duron processor
Do you know what size processor? Because each motherboard supports differant powers of processor you don't want to buy MOBO that don't support your processor.
Though he did say that he could not understand why the PCi card would not work as in theory it is stand alone!!!
Don't want to knock your IT support at work but he is wrong in saying that it the pci card would work by itself it can not work if the Motherboard is not working PCI cards run off the motherboard in fact everything runs off the motherboard PCI cards have not got their own power supply.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-08-2006, 12:59 PM
hmmm duron, not seen them about for a while, they are a socket a, so need a socket a motherboard.

do you know if it has a seperate graphics card or is it on board ?

if its on board then you will need oen with an onboard graphics card too.

for a socket a with onboard graphics looking around 30 - 40 pounds.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-08-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...SubCat=MBD-462

id be going for the 31 pound one.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice , I have no idea about PC literate stuff!! Gave my PC to a friend of my dad who has kindly returned it tonight with a new motherboard a new intel celeron??? processor and a new operating system, though when I got it back the mouse didnt work so after trip to Tesco for new mouse and a 20 min conversation to bl!$dy telewest and probably half a half bottle (is that a quarter!!!) of vodka, I can get online but it keeps telling me I am not protectd by blueyonder pc guard........why is nothing simple....

How do dogs survive with no email and no internet access and NO VODKA!!!!!!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
hmm.

celeron is equiv to an the sempron whcich is slight step up from duron.

so better pc now.lol

as for protection, have yo ugot an antivirus and firewall on it ?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
well...excuse my ignorance!!! lol But Iuntil all the hassle telewest gave me pc guard which provided pop up blocker, firewall parental guard etc etc and now it tells me it can't lload it!!! Why don't they make things simple for us of little knowledge!!!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-08-2006, 09:18 PM
well...excuse my ignorance!!! lol But Iuntil all the hassle telewest gave me pc guard which provided pop up blocker, firewall parental guard etc etc and now it tells me it can't lload it!!! Why don't they make things simple for us of little knowledge!!!
i have no idea what it is.lol

i use - avast free antivirus

and - sysgate free personal firewall

and - spybot search and destroy.

alongside windowes defender.lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >