Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Two years...with ALL health tests done
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I would say at least 2 years old, especially for large breeds. (Of course, this has to conform with the relevant health testing, temperament and for the true benefit of a breed).
Yes, health tests releveant to the breed in question too.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Larger breeds no younger than two. in our breed club ethics indicate two years for a bitch, I left it til my bitch was well over the two year mark before breeding AND had all the relevant health checks done.

Mo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I think in most breeds it will be considered ethical over two... with all relevant health tests obviously..

But most people I now will wait till around 3...I think smaller breed maybe a littler earlier, as they mature a little faster.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I once read (bout 4/5 yrs ago) in one of the "show" dog press from a well respected columnist & experinced breeder/ that its better to have a first litter at under 12months, as the bitches pelvis is more mallable & will have less trouble in future matings if the first is done early.

Any truth in this?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I once read (bout 4/5 yrs ago) in one of the "show" dog press from a well respected columnist & experinced breeder/ that its better to have a first litter at under 12months, as the bitches pelvis is more mallable & will have less trouble in future matings if the first is done early.

Any truth in this?
Not when you see the rescue programs with puppies having puppies and cannot cope with them physically or mentally.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not when you see the rescue programs with puppies having puppies and cannot cope with them physically or mentally.
I've seen this on Animal Planet. It's incredibly sad.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
i was just sharing info i had read,tbh, i dont agree with it as a practise!!!!! i just wondered if there was any truth in this theory & is it practised? ie to have a unreg litter early to help the bitch for future litters? not ethical. was it practised years ago?

What age would you say is TOO old to have a first litter?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
i was just sharing info i had read,tbh, i dont agree with it as a practise!!!!! i just wondered if there was any truth in this theory & is it practised? ie to have a unreg litter early to help the bitch for future litters? not ethical. was it practised years ago?

What age would you say is TOO old to have a first litter?
Yeah I know what you meant. Too old? I suppose it depends on the breed again, I mean you dont see many 7yr old St Bernards in veteran classes, Im not sure they could cope with raising pups late for a first time, but something like a smallish Terrier perhaps could. Id not mate a bitch over 4 for the first time.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Humm - don;t really know much about it - but would say AT least 2....and maybe closer to 3.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Think a first litter over 4 is too old for any breed, ie whelping after the age of 5 for the first time. There will be exceptions but as a general rule that is too old for a first, second or third no problem.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >