Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Foxy when you first knew about the virus, what told you about it?...the page you went to after clicking the link or your anti virus software?

I don't know Mys cause I have to say I completely paniced cos I have never dealt with this sort of thing before. It said that IP address 227.4.167.118 had gained complete control over my computer and could look at any bank details or card numbers that I had stored - which I haven't a clue whether I have any stored or not I don't do online banking or anything and the only time I use my switch card on the internet is to pay Freemans which I think is a secure site. Its a new card that I have only used once on line last week when I paid them.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I don't know Mys cause I have to say I completely paniced cos I have never dealt with this sort of thing before. It said that IP address 227.4.167.118 had gained complete control over my computer and could look at any bank details or card numbers that I had stored - which I haven't a clue whether I have any stored or not I don't do online banking or anything and the only time I use my switch card on the internet is to pay Freemans which I think is a secure site. Its a new card that I have only used once on line last week when I paid them.
Was it your anti virus (norton) that alerted you or was that what this page on the internet said once you clicked the link from the email?

Your right, any sites like Freemans etc will be secure sites and any info you put in them will be encrypted once sent.

I would say that it is safe to say that any details would not be stored on your pc...The only thing is, when you key in any details from this point, I'm not sure if it would be able to read those somehow.

That's why if it were me I would do a whole system restore and then once back up and running I would then scan with a couple different anti virus programs.

But I'm thinking it may be a hoax anyway...Even the IP address given could well be fake if the site where you got the virus from told you it.

Can you see what the title of the email was?...In any notices was any type of virus name mentioned because then we could look it up and see if it is real and what risk it is.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:16 PM
with the firewall, it stops any computer accessing your pc when you have not asked it to do so...The thing is when you actually download something the firewall thinks ok you have chosen to do this and it may or may not ask you if that's what you want to do. Once downloading, this is when the anti virus should have kicked in and told you that the file you are trying to download is infected and then given you the appropriate options. If your anti virus did not kick in then either this is a very new and unheard of virus so far that your anti virus did not recognize or it is indeed a hoax just to wind people up and there is no virus.

When did you last update your anti virus files? If you update regularly then a programme such as Norton should have detected this virus first.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:22 PM
ok I'm doing a bit of a search...they are talking about it on here
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132_7-...hreadID=144454
I'll have a quick read.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Update i have now got a new MSN e mail addy the others like BT and Gmail are safe as the email was sent from my old MSN addy so you can now delete / block it from your contacts if you want my new one just pm me
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
with the firewall, it stops any computer accessing your pc when you have not asked it to do so...The thing is when you actually download something the firewall thinks ok you have chosen to do this and it may or may not ask you if that's what you want to do. Once downloading, this is when the anti virus should have kicked in and told you that the file you are trying to download is infected and then given you the appropriate options. If your anti virus did not kick in then either this is a very new and unheard of virus so far that your anti virus did not recognize or it is indeed a hoax just to wind people up and there is no virus.

When did you last update your anti virus files? If you update regularly then a programme such as Norton should have detected this virus first.
Hiya yes I always update my Norton - think it is on automatic update anyway. I did a system restore and took it back to the beginning of april or do you mean the restore that takes it back to factory settings?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:44 PM
If I never use my card on line anymore do you think I will be safe because I can send payment to Freemans by post. There isn't much else they can track I don't think because I don't do personal stuff on here - mainly cos I haven't a clue how to do it
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2006, 12:48 PM
If you told nortons to protect your info then it would be safe
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:50 PM
If I never use my card on line anymore do you think I will be safe because I can send payment to Freemans by post. There isn't much else they can track I don't think because I don't do personal stuff on here - mainly cos I haven't a clue how to do it
I don't think this virus actualy has anything to do with getting credit card info etc...when the warning popped up did you click anything like 'ok'...I think this is when some adware would be downloaded onto your pc...I think the warning is a fake warning getting you to click on it so it can put adware on your pc. Did it ask you if you wanted to download some anti spy programe at all by any chance?...

How did you deal with the pop up?...what you should always do with these pop up's that you don't trust is to click the little x at the top right and not on 'ok' or anything else.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I did a system restore and took it back to the beginning of april or do you mean the restore that takes it back to factory settings?
If it were me, yes I would take it back to factory settings and wipe it all, I know some virus's can still try to hang around after this even but most will be wiped.

But that's only what I would do.

I stuck that IP address thing into google and I'm seeing what is being said about it so I am trying to have a quick look for you.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >