Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Max-a-million! View Post
WOW! You're sister's BT sounds exactly like mine!!! Everything you have said is Max down to a 'T'!! I am going to persevere as I love him to bits!
Glad to hear you are going to persevere with Max, as you WILL get there in the end, and BT are such wee characters

Where did you get yours from? I am wondering if he might be related to my sister's!
Max-a-million!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Glad to hear you are going to persevere with Max, as you WILL get there in the end, and BT are such wee characters

Where did you get yours from? I am wondering if he might be related to my sister's!
I had him from Brownhills near Walsall West Midlands at 13 and a half weeks old. How about your sister? Where was her's from??? They had 2 girls left!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I had him from Brownhills near Walsall West Midlands at 13 and a half weeks old. How about your sister? Where was her's from??? They had 2 girls left!!
Not from the same breeder at least then - perhaps it is just a breed thing? My sister's came from a breeder up in Berwickshire, Scotland.
Max-a-million!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Not from the same breeder at least then - perhaps it is just a breed thing? My sister's came from a breeder up in Berwickshire, Scotland.
Yeh maybe!! I wouldn't swap him for the world though even though he is a wee machine!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Just a thought, having read all your answers now, have you got somewhere in the house you can put this crate where it wouldn't be in the way and could be left there quite permanently until it's days are over (probably around 6 months old going on mine)? I know how big and bulky they are and it sounds like you're having to keep moving it out of that kitchen and into the garage coz the kitchen is so small! Maybe try the lounge or something, you furniture will be safe coz the puppy would be shut in there when you go out?

Also, I'm wondering if the water bowl is getting emptied/splashed IN the crate and you're thinking he's wee'd in there when left, and it's just the water? I remember how my puppy would tip it over or stand in it if she felt she shouldn't have been put in there, as well as wrecking everything else available in it if she felt that way!

You must put lots and lots of good chewable toys in there, as well as the suggested kong to keep him occupied, it all helps. I got a kong ball with a hole in it for food and my puppy loved that

I also agree, even a 10 minute would around the block, use the grass verges to encourage him, would be better than nothing in the mornings. Both my dogs will go outside first thing, but half an hour later when we go on a walk, they both wee about twice more and yet have not drunk anything!

Awwww, I love little border puppies we have lots of them around here, very popular and oh so cute!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes i bought him from a breeder at 13 and a half weeks old and they hadn't even given him his injections! I know what you're thinking, I should of looked into a reputable breeder but I fell in love with him! Maybe he will be slow in training but I just hope he'll get there in the end! He does hold it all night and I try not to let him guzzle water in the morning before putting him in the crate and always make him wee outside before putting him in. He is left from 9am until 12.30pm everyday but if I leave him in the afternoon for a couple of hours he has been fine?
Do you leave him with water in the crate?If you don't he willlearn to drink before he goes in it. Pups should ALWAYS have water available. Rationing it doesn't work and can do harm.

rune
Max-a-million!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just a thought, having read all your answers now, have you got somewhere in the house you can put this crate where it wouldn't be in the way and could be left there quite permanently until it's days are over (probably around 6 months old going on mine)? I know how big and bulky they are and it sounds like you're having to keep moving it out of that kitchen and into the garage coz the kitchen is so small! Maybe try the lounge or something, you furniture will be safe coz the puppy would be shut in there when you go out?

Also, I'm wondering if the water bowl is getting emptied/splashed IN the crate and you're thinking he's wee'd in there when left, and it's just the water? I remember how my puppy would tip it over or stand in it if she felt she shouldn't have been put in there, as well as wrecking everything else available in it if she felt that way!

You must put lots and lots of good chewable toys in there, as well as the suggested kong to keep him occupied, it all helps. I got a kong ball with a hole in it for food and my puppy loved that

I also agree, even a 10 minute would around the block, use the grass verges to encourage him, would be better than nothing in the mornings. Both my dogs will go outside first thing, but half an hour later when we go on a walk, they both wee about twice more and yet have not drunk anything!

Awwww, I love little border puppies we have lots of them around here, very popular and oh so cute!
Hi, thanks for your reply! I don't leave him with water in his crate as I have been advised not to by lots of people. He is left for a max of 3 hours a day without water. Is this ok do you think?? I am also going to move his crate into the lounge as you suggested because he can't damage anything if he is in there! He has lots of things to chew at & i've bought him a "squirrel dude" which I fill with his food and he loves to try to get it out!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2009, 04:21 AM
He does have walks off lead when we are in the woods as when he sees another dog he will run after it so when we walk him around the streets he is always on the lead. However, I do take him off when we are on a field.

I am also confused as to why he is ok at night & not in the day??!!!
Looking back, I guess I only hinted at why. How long a puppy can go is highly dependent on how active it is. that is why i keep saying walk it when you take it out and then confine it. At night the house is quiet and outside is quiet. The puppy may even be adapted to sleeping at night and beingactive in the day time. Even with nobody in the house, there is light and noise from outside to stimulate the puppy to activity. activity=elimination
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes ANY time is too long without access to water.

Get a coop cup which hangs on the side of the crate (they are for birds) then he can't spill it.

If you are stopping him drinking before he goes in as well that won't help.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
could he be cold in the garage, it would be harder for him to hold on if hes cold.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4