Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Teddy Lie Down!!!

Yes thats right we're trying to teach teddy to lie down.. Teaching how to sit was a snap too all of two days from practicing this video we saw online.. But Lie down or Down isn't coming so easily.. He follows the treat down everytime though but wont follow an empty hand.. trying keeping an open hand while wedging the treat between my fingers, works sometimes but not really getting there .. Any Ideas Guys
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Have you watched kikopup?
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2012, 04:59 AM
What's that
gwenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Id keep using treats,if it works,you can phase them out slowly,,it creates the habit,I still use treats occasionally with Jess and shes 3,and always if teaching something new.Good luck!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 07:10 AM
As Gwenny says, keep giving treats until his 'down' is instant. Then very, very gradually only give a treat every other down. My two are 19 months and I always have a pocket full of treats ...... I permanently smell of dog treats I still give treats to them, but they don't expect them as much now as I will reward them with my voice/stroking etc.

You don't say how old Teddy is. If he is still young just keep on with the treats and it can be really useful to reinforce the 'down' with a hand signal too.
Sukuya
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Teddy is about 4 months and you guys are making a whole lot of sense.... It's what my girl was doing when teaching him to sit, and guess I wasn't paying attention... Thanks guys guess I just have to be a bit more diligent
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Sit on the floor and teach it. When he`s got the idea, do it standing in front of him.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 09:36 AM
The easiest way to train puppies and small dogs is to use a table........

Easier on your back and knees than getting on the floor etc

But here is a clip from Emily Larlam

http://mammipeki.wordpress.com/2009/...-and-be-quiet/
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Keep a treat in the 'luring hand' but give the treat from your other hand. Then start rewarding every other down, every 3rd, every other etc, but keep a treat in your 'luring hand' as long as necessary or just rub the treat on your hand so the smell is still there. Also use your other hand as 'luring hand'.

Good luck.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes, good advice. Also learn to just wait a dog out for a few moments. By that i mean, give the cue word once and just wait for up to about a minute - sometimes they will offer the Down (or whatever behaviour) after sort of thinking about it

Then you can reward with food from the side, other hand, pocket or wherever else it is. Often they "get" it first time, sometimes you will need to repeat it

Longer than a minute and they tend to wander with their mind or it implies that they don't understand something, if they don't give the position a go.

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >