Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fairygirl
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2010, 05:35 PM

New and looking for advice and a puppy

Hi all , i am thinking of getting a small dog want it from a puppy has any one got any advice for me and can you think of any breeds that stay small , i have some ideas like Maltese,****zu ect. Do pedigrees have lots of health problems , am i better of going for a cross breed , are they expensive to keep ect ect.) Many thanks
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Cross breeds can be as likely to have problems as pedigrees - your best bet is to find a GOOD breeder who breeds for a reason other than £££ and will help and support you throughout the dogs life and health tests their dogs.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi and good luck with choosing your puppy - a daunting task! With regards to your question "are they expensive to keep", well yes, they can be. Even if you are lucky enough to have no major health problems with your dog, the routine injections, checks, worming, flea treatment etc. plus neutering if the dog will not be bred from, all mount up and coupled with feeding costs and accoutrements that are necessary for a happy comfortable dog - it is not cheap so be prepared to spend some money!

However, the pleasure of having a dog around the place far outweigh the costs to my mind.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2010, 07:43 PM
You never know when you are getting a dog what (if any) health problems it is going to have. You can do checks on pedigrees to see what problems are common for speciific breeds etc, but even crossbreeds/mongrels can have poor health as I found with my old dog.

The main thing is to look for a dog you like, and one that you are willing and able to give a good loving home to for the rest of its life.

As mentioned above, that does include the routine vet checks, worming etc, and anything extra that may crop up.
fairygirl
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Many thanks for all the replys , i will keep this is in mind
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2010, 12:48 AM