Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Advocate and Milbemax

I've just been to the vet to get some worm and flea stuff. I asked for panacur as usual but the vet was there and suggested I use milbemax. I specifically asked if it was ok to use that with the advocate as I am sure when I got Toby the vet said not to use those two. She said its fine, we give them together all the time. I've just got home and looked it up and there are several places that say not to use advocate with milbemax, or say to leave a week or two between them?

So do I go on what the vet said and use them both? Or should I go back and say I want the panacur instead?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:04 PM
i would keep the advocate and alternate
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Where did you get your information from?

Was it a manufacturer's site or just random internet search?

Vets, like us, make mistakes, so if you are unsure, go back tomorrow for reassurance.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
My original concern was that when Toby was younger they prescribed Milbemax, then when we decided he was having advocate the vet put him on drontal instead. He threw up on drontal so has been on panacur the last few times.

I specifically asked the vet today if they were ok to use together because of what the other vet had said originally. She said it was fine but I did a quick google search to see if anything came up. Then I headed straight to dogsey for some advice!

I don't want the vet to think I'm being funny as she's the one we like seeing. I might just say he threw up with the milbemax and go back for some panacur!
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Am i the only one confused by all the differing opinions on what wormers to use with Advocate??

My vet says to use Advocate monthly and give Droncit twice a year...

Im now very confused...like the OP, of what to give and when!!! I shall watch this post with interest!!
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
The only additional protection you will get from the Milbemax is tapeworm, as both products will treat/protect against roundoworms, so by using the two you are in effect double dosing.

For any patients on Advocate, we recommend 6 monthly tapeworm treatment with 'Droncit', as this is a sole tapeworm treatment.

We have however had clients who have used both milbemax and advocate together with no ill effects, although they have always been advised to leave 2 weeks between the two.

Hope this helps
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Our vets advice was to use advocate monthly and milbemax quarterly, so we advocate monthly on the birthday anniversary of one dog and milbemax quarterly on the anniversary of the other, so in the quarter months there is 8 days between the dose of each.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
The only additional protection you will get from the Milbemax is tapeworm, as both products will treat/protect against roundoworms, so by using the two you are in effect double dosing.

For any patients on Advocate, we recommend 6 monthly tapeworm treatment with 'Droncit', as this is a sole tapeworm treatment.

We have however had clients who have used both milbemax and advocate together with no ill effects, although they have always been advised to leave 2 weeks between the two.

Hope this helps
or the other way round...with advocate, flea and mange cover.

hence alternating