Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:32 PM

opinions please,gravel or slabs???

it is now becoming very desperate for me to get my butt into gear and do something about what remains of my parents garden before the really wet weather comes i replaced their lawns after my 2 dogs wrecked them but the same thing has happened again and all that remains now is mud as we have had some wet weather the situation has become urgent as they are dragging mud all through the house( )i was trying to get it slabbed before the wet weather came but my dad couldn't make his mind up i have thought for ease about gravelling it but not with pea gravel but larger stones(if that makes sense) but i am very worried about it smelling if the dogs wee on it also i am unsure if you can lay slabs whilst it is wet and would i need to put in some form of drainage as the soil is heavy the cheapest solution and quickest solution would be gravel,if anyone does have gravel down,what is the maintenance like??do i need to clean it etc??
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't gravel, we had it round the side of the house and every cat for miles around used it as a giant litter tray so we slabbed instead
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
Don't gravel, we had it round the side of the house and every cat for miles around used it as a giant litter tray so we slabbed instead
oooooo i didn't think of that
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Definately not gravel, my lot dug it up and it just merged into a mudbath. I then slabbed over the top and wished Id done that to start with.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:45 PM
I have slabs, they are better than gravel IMO.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:49 PM
thankyou my dad just can't be bothered and so it will be down to me to sort it out i will have to employ somebody to do it aswell which is another minefield in itself i will have to go and break the news to him
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:53 PM
slabs here ..so easy to hose off

we have stones as drainage outside the conservatory a really small amount drives me mad as the dogs brings them all indoors and the puppy gets them
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
was gonna say the same thing about a giant litter tray
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
was gonna say the same thing about a giant litter tray
i have a cat of my own aswell and i guess he would just see it as a special toilet for him i am glad i asked now and didn't just order gravel
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 04:12 PM
deffinately slabs easy to clean un like gravel by the time you cleaned up where the dogs have been the gravel goes down and down and before you know it you got no gravel left
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >