Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jellim182
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2006, 12:51 PM

New puppy! HELP!!

Hi, i've just bought home our 10wk puppy, Harley. just wondering is it best to set rules right from the start or should i be more flexible in the first week.
as its bonfire nite i feel i should maybe a little more caring coz i know fireworks can upset dogs? any ideas?
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I think its ok to make slight allowances for them,a new home is a big adjustment but i also think its important to set ground rules down as soon as, and stick to them,pups 'catch on' very quickly !!!!
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Certainly for the fireworks, ignore any of Harley's distress. He'll take his cue from you. If you start comforting him during the fireworks he'll think that something is "wrong" and he may worry about them even more. Remember, for you, fireworks are perfectly normal and you don't want to be accidentally teaching Harley any different. Try to continue acting completely normally during the fireworks (ignore them as much as you can) and make sure he has a comfortable place he can settle to with some nice toys, rug etc.

Personally, I'd lay down the ground rules now (with kindness of course). Remember, it's going to take him a while to "get it" anyway. Enjoy these puppy days with him, they're absolutely wonderful.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
If he is frightened by the fireworks i would suggest trying to act as normal as possible as if you dont notice them(the fireworks) and dont 'baby' him too much and talk in soothing tones,your pup will find that reponse as if you are saying its ok to be scared and think you are approving him being scared,does that make sense,
I'm sure Mini will come along soon and put it in the right way !!!!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by sammymax View Post
Certainly for the fireworks, ignore any of Harley's distress. He'll take his cue from you. If you start comforting him during the fireworks he'll think that something is "wrong" and he may worry about them even more. Remember, for you, fireworks are perfectly normal and you don't want to be accidentally teaching Harley any different. Try to continue acting completely normally during the fireworks (ignore them as much as you can) and make sure he has a comfortable place he can settle to with some nice toys, rug etc.

Personally, I'd lay down the ground rules now (with kindness of course). Remember, it's going to take him a while to "get it" anyway. Enjoy these puppy days with him, they're absolutely wonderful.
DITTO
Enjoy your pup xx
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Welcome...........Just realised you're a newbie !!!! Are you Bodhi's friend ???
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
I think its ok to make slight allowances for them,a new home is a big adjustment but i also think its important to set ground rules down as soon as, and stick to them,pups 'catch on' very quickly !!!!
That would be precisely my advice too!

I have a 12week old puppy Jess and I got her at 6weeks.

The first 3 or so days I was just playful with her and let her become accustomed to the home, then when she settled (pups settle very quickly if your with them all the time) I started making rules and training.

The puppy will 'push it' Jess does all the time so you have to stick to your guns and dont let them do what they want as pups will always test the rules again and again.

Yet rules make for a happy home, you cant fully enjoy the dog experience if they run riot!

Good luck with your little bundle of Joy!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
Welcome...........Just realised you're a newbie !!!! Are you Bodhi's friend ???

maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Enjoy your new pup!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by jellim182 View Post
Hi, i've just bought home our 10wk puppy, Harley. just wondering is it best to set rules right from the start or should i be more flexible in the first week.
as its bonfire nite i feel i should maybe a little more caring coz i know fireworks can upset dogs? any ideas?
Hi Jellim welcome to Dogsey. I would say you need to set rules from the moment you get the puppy home the sooner he has a routine he is used to the happier he will be. (It is slightly different with an older rescue dog who needs time to settle).

Should you be 'a little more caring'? No, I think you should always be equally as caring with your puppy no matter what

Here are a couple of articles written for Dogsey that may help you and your puppy. I wish you many happy years with Harley

Basic training...http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14526

Housetraining ...http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

Preparing for fireworks...http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=16
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >