Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Any pup brought up correctly around cats, will not chase them-simple.
I did bring pharaoh up correctly, I promise.

He was introduced slowly and rewarded for ignoring Kalikat, they were never left alone and were fed separately. But when she ran up the stairs or ran through the room, he'd chase her and she'd turn on him. We tried clicker training, training discs and even a rattle bottle, nothing could curb his puppy curiosity or chase drive and nothing would make Kalikat like him. Some dogs just like to play and chase things and not all cats are tolerant of this... But then Pharaoh is a lurcher and I'm sure Shar-peis don't have the same drive, so will probably be different.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all your input guys, i really cant say how the cats would react to another dog and i certainly dont want to get into the same situation but having said that, the 2 kittens we have, have had nothing to do with Diesel since they were born as Ruby was already here and we had to keep them both away for the cats safety so they have never learnt to trust D until now but since Ruby has gone and they have the freedom to go where they want they are both making friends with D no problem. We are actually amazed at how quickly they have all accepted each other, considering what the poor kitties went through with Ruby.

I know that doesnt mean a new dog will be the same, which is why i cant decide what is the best thing to do

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Have you thought about taking on an older dog that is OK with cats?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree with Vicki - I would wait and see how Diesel gets on a few more weeks down the line.

Your household is only just starting to settle, so it's natural for Diesel to still be missing his pal. I am sure with time he will be back to normal soon.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I think its good idea waiting as Diesel might improve, but could you not have a word with the breeder and explain this and say you are interested but dont know for sure untill nearer the time and understand if other people have the pups in the mean time. That way if its ment to be its ment to be
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have you thought about taking on an older dog that is OK with cats?
I am not opposed to an older dog (why we ended up with Rubes) BUT the thing that puts us off doing that is, Diesel, for example, is great with OUR cats, if he sees a different cat out on the street, he has a huge desire to chase it, always has but he knows if its one of ours. After what has happened with Ruby we would all feel more comfortable with a pup we can mold to our way of life from the start.

Also now my daughter is that bit older, she wants to get more involved in the training and walking etc and an older pei would just be too much for her to handle.

Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I think its good idea waiting as Diesel might improve, but could you not have a word with the breeder and explain this and say you are interested but dont know for sure untill nearer the time and understand if other people have the pups in the mean time. That way if its ment to be its ment to be
I was thinking that today if in 6 weeks D is still down and the pup is still available, we could make the decision then.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I was thinking that today if in 6 weeks D is still down and the pup is still available, we could make the decision then.
I would say you have answered your own question.
I would say its a risk that no pups are left but also I think you will notice some or no improvment before six weeks.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I would say you have answered your own question.
I would say its a risk that no pups are left but also I think you will notice some or no improvment before six weeks.
Yep, thats it, thats what i will do, if there are no pups left then its not meant to be and lets be sensible here there will be other litters, so why rush it , right?

Cheers Stormey!!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Just thought i would update you on the puppy debate, I have spoken to the breeder (same breeder we got D) and she is going to earmark a pup for us and we can make up our mind when they are ready to go, cant ask for more than that, so we dont have to rush a decision and will see how things are in 5 weeks time.

But for the time being this is what we are up against

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >