View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 03:52 PM
We have clear glass front doors so my dogs see anyone coming and alert us by a single bark if its someone we know. However, if they don't know who it is I encourage them to bark. However, having said that they do have a big bark but on the downside do look very soft cuddly
So answering the question: I feel safer with them at night if OH is away as they are shut in the kitchen so are not visible to anyone coming to the front door, but during the day, no I don't think I would feel any safer.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh yes, I feel very safe with my dog around the place, she not only barks profusely at strangers approaching the house, but now she can actually see them making their way up our little sliproad, and if they walk past the driveway, then she's quiet(er!), but if they head up our drive and then God forbid up our steps, she goes blooming frantic! I shut her in the lounge to open the front door, and she goes manic at the patio doors at the front (it's pointless to keep cleaning them coz it's always covered in her slobber because of this!), and if I shut her in the bedroom, she does the same to a big window that covers the whole front wall, whilst I calmly deal with whoever it is all on my ownesome, even though she thinks I'm incapable! The sheer look on her face is enough to scare the heeby jeebies out of anyone thinking of breaking in (or even walking in come to that!).

I'm loathe to correct her if I'm honest, because I spend a lot of time on my own nowadays in this new place, and I like the way she's very protective over me when I'm home alone. She does know how to differentiate between friends and strangers though which is good!

I've promised myself that one day I'm going to get to grips with teaching her how to shut up when instructed. She's being taught that our neighbours are allowed to come and go as they please into their own houses, even though she thinks they're hers too, but then it's all so open plan at the front who can blame her, as she sits out there on the balcony staring out through the bars looking for trouble lol!
We have dogs either side of us and they've all got this alert thing going on with the postman and other delivery guys, one starts and then Zena starts and then the other side starts all in succession, it's quite interesting to listen to it, BUT, when they bark for other reasons, Zena never barks, in fact, she's the only one who doesn't, neither of them have ever set her off and yet she always set them off!

As for out walking in the woods alone, especially very early in the mornings when nobody is about, she's never wary of anyone we see, so unless somebody actually made a point of mugging me, she'd be their best friend. As for protecting me, I don't think she's going to be very reliable either coz she likes all people unless they're treading on her turf which is back at home!
glitter fairy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I feel very safe with dexter at home, He will bark at anyone who comes remotely near the house. I usually get up for work at 4.30 and he comes downstairs and snoozes on the sofa whilst im getting ready, waiting for his morning walk. To be fair he is usually very quiet at that time of morning and if he does start to bark i can stop him before he wakes the neighbours, but last december he went absolutely mad so i grabbed him by the collar, opened the front door and let him peak out to show him there was nothing there, he usually stops at this point but this time he carried on and started snarling and showing his teeth. I looked up and there was a man in dark clothes loitering. He took one look at dexter ran. The neighbours also saw the same man after being woken up and bought dexter a jumbone for his troubles

Our previous little boy max was staying at a friends when we went away for a weekend. Our friend took him across the common on his long line lead so he could have a good sniff. Max had buried himself in the bushes when two lads jumped out and tried to mug my friend. Max came bounding from out of the bushes barking and the two lads bricked it and ran off.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
i feel safer with mine in the house, they alert me to strange noises, or someone being at the door. they wouldnt do alot of damage though but at least they let me know.

i dont feel safe walking them at night, as they dont look intimidating, one is small and fluffy and one is small and bald, i dont stand much chance
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I feel quite safe with Ted in the house he will bark at anyone who comes near the front door whether they knock or not. I doubt he would do any more but he's quite a big dog and sounds intimidating when you hear him bark so i would hope that would be enough of a deterrent.

I was having a conversation with someone the other day who was surprised at some of the places i walk alone with Ted i don't really think about it but i do feel safer having him there even though i doubt he would do anything more than perhaps bark.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 12:53 PM
With my GSD- totally. Not so much with the collies!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
I do feel safer having phoebe. As does my hubby as he works away alot so likes knowing phoebe is there with me. she acts like 10 men if there is something going on outside but not sure how she would act if they cam in as she hides in her harry potter cupboard when visitors first arrive unless they where high viz then she gets half in half out of her cupboard and barks at them - but i doubt intruders wear high viz clothing.

I feel safer on walks often walk very late at night. When we had an incident with a pervert near our house a few weeks ago she barked at him when he started to walk behind us and was making a point of between me and pervert at all times. I was shocked and proud of her for trying to protect her little mummy
I'm intrigued about Phoebe's Harry Potter cupboard - the mind boggles!! please enlighten me.

Generally I feel safe. My Rottie was the only one not to give a warning bark but if anyone came in uninvited ......
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes Zara does, I live on my own and their has been days where Zara has been staying at my OH's house and the house was to quiet on my own.

I wouldn't go an isolated walk on my own without Zara being their too. I can remember taking one of the westies a walk on my own and hardly anybody was around... I didn't like it at all.

My mum and my OH feel a lot happier too, that Zara is their wih me.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Not so much safer, but definitely more aware. Rogan is a good guard dog, and his 'warnings' range from little 'I'm sure I heard something' woofs, to big, deep 'stay away from my house!' barks, that make him sound much bigger and more fearsome than he actually is! Usually it's just aimed at the postie, or people with the gall to walk past the drive, but I like that he keeps me alert.
Oakly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Yes ,we feel very safe with our dogs in the house and grounds .
Would not live in this area without them .
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >