View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 10:32 AM

Dog 6 months old, messing inside house?!?!?!

Ok I posted not long ago about Icon, but he is now causing me real grief as my OH doesn't like him anyway and this is just causing more problems than I can tell you!

He's started messing in the runway where he is when we're not at home, he wees in there, doesn't bother holding himself at all, and lately he's started poo-ing in there too. This is really upsetting me as I've done the usual, washed it washing powder even tried the anti scent sprays, nothing is working. Its half ten now, and he was put out for a wee at 8 (I'm knackered so went back to bed for an hour, usually this is no prob in the mornings as he goes for a wee outside and then sleeps until later - just like his mum he's not a morning person, good job as I work in a bar until 4 30am!)

But today he's weed and messed out there. He did it yesterday when I popped out for some shopping, but worst of all, I took him out to the toilet last night, and within 10 mins he weed in the lounge. My OH is going up the wall the last thing she needs is more of a reason to hate him, this is my worst nightmare come true. I'm struggling now for her to let me keep him until me and him can move out when I start my main job in Jan.

I don't want to have him fostered, but she is getting really angry with me. And no thats not the reason he's doing it, he does it when she's not here too......

Please help me, its really dragging me down. And I go out with him everytime he goes to the toilet, I have to coz he's on a lead as the fence in the garden is broken. I make a big fuss of him when he goes outside, but I don't talk to him when he does it inside, although this also annoys my OH as she feels I should tell him off.

PLease help ASAP???????????
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Lorna - I'm sorry that your OH is causing such grief for you and Icon - how anyone can not love the little boy I don't know.

He is ONLY 6 months so I wouldn't expect him to be housetrained yet honey - but can see that your OH isn't helping by constantly giving you grief that he isn't - I am sure that if your OH wasn't there you would except these accidents and deal with them.

Can I ask - you may be but I just want to check are you going out with him when he goes out?

SORRY JUST REREAD YOU DO!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Sorry Lorna - having reread I see you do go out with him - I think its just early days - but you have the added pressure of your OH not realising this - the only other suggestion I can think of is to look at crate training?

How long is he left during the day?

This time of year is really hard with puppies and house training - they don't want to go out cos its cold and we don't want to either
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I havea 9 month old who occasionally wee's in the house.... she is housetrained, but when the weather is bad outside, even if I put her on the grass (she is a heavy one too!!) she just runs inside and will wee when she's busting! Ive started putting her lead on and popping ehr for a quick walk, as she doesnt mind walking in the rain?? thats the only way I have found to get around it! but don't worry too much, Flower was 6-7 months before being housetrained... it is hardwork xxxx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Sorry you are having such a hard time. Could Icon be picking up on the atmosphere in the house and he is getting upset, I know this can happen with children and bedwetting.
Good luck and I am sure this stage will pass.

Lorna x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Sorry you are having such a hard time. Could Icon be picking up on the atmosphere in the house and he is getting upset, I know this can happen with children and bedwetting.
Good luck and I am sure this stage will pass.

Lorna x
i was just thinking that... dogs are very perceptive to moods... maybe the tension is upsetting him...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Ollie was 9 months old before becoming totally housetrained.
I was also thinking the same as LH maybe the atmosphere isn't helping him.Like Children they are all different my other dog was clean at 5 months.
I do hope you can get it sorted because he will pick up on your stress and that won't help either of you.Can't suggest anything except patience which you have but your OH doesn't so makes it difficult for you and Icon.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think he's picking up on the mood in the house, he's left for about 2 hours from when I wake up and put him out to when I wake up again.....he's crate trained, but I don't want to leave him in his crate when I'm not home, hence the runway being perfect.....

I know my alsatian used to have accidents until she was 8 months, but she was incredibly difficult to house train, Icon picked it up within the first 2 weeks pretty much, no accidents at night or anything.

I left him for about 3 hours yesterday, which is why I wasn't surprised there was an accident, but I'm confused why he'd do it when I had just let him out last night?!?!?! He doesn't like going outside, but I go with him which seems to make it better.

He goes on command, and I just don't understand, I wouldn't mind, but I'm going to have to move into rented accomodation at the end of Feb by the look of it, and I can't do that if he's not house trained

I'm probably not helping because I am stressed! I m going to clean the carpet in the runway tonight with washing powder again, see if that works......

Thank you all though, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong xxxx
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Lorna you aren't doing anything wrong honey - he is reverting back - they all do - and at this time of year it is always worse!

Just keep doing what you are doing - I would restrict access to the hallway - I know you don't want to leave him that long in his crate and can understand it totally - but the hallway has become a place where he knows he can toilet so I would think you need to try and remove him from that area for the time being if you can?

I will see what else I can think of.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I fckon he is picking up on the tension which is why he is doing it. It's not because he is desperate for the loo but the action of going releases chemicals in the brain which give you a high (just remember how it feels when you go for to the loo, it's not called a relief for nothing!)
He is also still a youngster. I have to say Dolly was great, now she's teething she's a bit of a nightmare but surprisingly since I've been going to work she's vastly improved as I take them out the second I come home at lunch time and after work (they are only left for 3 hours max) in fact it's the boys who are bad at the moment becuase Liberty is coming into season!
So don't feel bad it's just one of those things. They reckon 9 mths is about usual for housetraining!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >