Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Greyhound rescues

Does anybody know of any reputable greyhound rescue centre's?? I understand they will probably need to do home checks? But I e-mailed 3 in my area to explain what temperament I was looking for and how I was looking to help rescue a greyhound...none replied...

I'm wanting to rescue one as a companion for Flow in the next month or so..any help would be very gratefully appreciated!!

Many thanks

robbooth
New Member!
Male 

17-08-2007, 06:50 PM
We had great trouble getting our second grey from the local rescue centres, we ended up doing two trips down to Warwickshire to get her (and we live in Oldham).

This may help:
Where to go to adopt a greyhound
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 06:53 PM
did they not insist on home checking?? Thats the only thing I thought about, thats why I didnt look further afield, because I had read somewhere that some rescue centres will only rehome within a vertain radius!!

ay I ask what temperament your g.hounds are??
robbooth
New Member!
Male 

17-08-2007, 07:22 PM
When we got our original greyhound (Oscar) we got him from Greyhound Rescue West of England (GRWE) so they came and did all the home checks and so on. When we were looking at Greta we emailed them (the Warwickshire rescue centre) and they asked if we could bring Oscar down with us. We also provided them with the name of the home checker from GRWE so I assume they must have had a word with them to make sure everything was OK at home and they had Oscar in front of them so they could see he was well looked after (and to make sure he was OK with the female we had seen on their website).

We found that a lot of rescue centres wanted to do the picking of the dog on your behalf (you'd see a dog on the website/kennels that you liked the sound of and then you'd find out that it's long since been re-homed or you'd get a point blank 'No you can't have that one, but here, you can have this one') - which I can understand to a certain extent, but we wanted to be involved in the decision, after all looking after a dog is a long term commitment.

What are they like?
Well they couldn't be more different; Oscar is very much Mr.Independent and only wants petting/loving on his terms and he is definitely a daddy's boy. Greta is a mommy's girl although I do get a look in now and again! She loves being stroked and will cuddle up next to you all night on the settee.

Retired Greyhound Trust

On the home page of the RGT you'll see they are advertising the Great Greyhound Gathering (22nd Sep) - it might be worth a visit so you can talk to some more owners and rescue centres (although they will all be RGT registered ones I suspect) and meet some of the dogs. See you there!

Retired Greyhound Trust/Great Greyhound Gathering
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by annajennison View Post
did they not insist on home checking?? Thats the only thing I thought about, thats why I didnt look further afield, because I had read somewhere that some rescue centres will only rehome within a vertain radius!!

ay I ask what temperament your g.hounds are??
Try Greyhound Gap they rehome all over the country.

Also try this linkas well
http://www.bgrd.co.uk/
mucky_pup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-11-2007, 12:08 PM
please try greyhound gap they will have hounds in your area and will have homechecks done in that area , lisa is the lady to speak to she is straight talking and loves her hounds.

http://greyhoundgap.proboards35.com/index.cgi

hope this helps